Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Default 3rd hand of a big MTT potentially misplayed, advice needed.

I recently played in a MTT with over 600 people at the Borgata in AC. We all started with $6,000 in chips and the 3rd hand of the tournament I was dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. I limped in for $50 after two other players limped in front of me.

The small blind then proceeded to raise to $400, but to my surprise the big blind and the two other limpers called the extra $350. At this point the pot was $1,650 and it would cost me another $350 to call. I knew I was dominated by at least one opponent, but getting over 5-1 on a call and having the button I decided to call.

FLOP: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Everyone checked to me, so with my top pair with the King kicker I bet $850.
The small blind (the original pre-flop raiser) folded, so did the big blind, but the first player who entered the pot just min raises me to $1,700. The next player folded and it was back to me.

This obviously seemed like a value raise, but i felt like just for another $850 into $4,650 pot, I had to call.

TURN: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BOARD: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent now bets $2,000 into the pot, and left me with a tough decision. Do I let my pair of 10's go with the nut flush draw to go along with it, or do I call $2,000 more and leave myself with less then $2,000 chips if I lose. This is only the 3rd hand of the tournament and if I don't improve and am forced to fold to a big bet on the river, i'll be crippled.

I calculated the outs that I had at the present moment, and figured that any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] any King or any 10 and I would be good. That leaves me with 14 outs. The pot after my opponents $2,000 bet is $6,650. By the turn Im almost a 30% favorite to win and Im getting a little more then 3-1 on my call. So i called

RIVER: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My opponent slows up and checks. I check ( I could of pushed and put him to tough decision. Any 9 and I have a Jack high straight. But I decided not to, because he has just as many chips invested in this pot as I do and felt he couldn't fold unless he was on a pure bluff or busted draw.)

My opponent flips his hand over to reveal 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a set
and takes down a pot worth $8,650

My Question: Because it was only the 3rd hand of the tournament, should I have folded on the turn even though I was getting the proper price to call or wait for a better spot to play this type of hand? Was all my decision making correct?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: 3rd hand of a big MTT potentially misplayed, advice needed.

Fold to the raise pre, fold to the min bet flop, fold when he priced your 9 outs in on the turn, don't post results.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 PM

I raise this PF, but you don't have to.

I also probably think you made the wrong decision at every single junction of the hand after that. So basically..do the opposite of what you did.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this PF, but you don't have to.

I also probably think you made the wrong decision at every single junction of the hand after that. So basically..do the opposite of what you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Raising preflop thins the field, which is good for our hand. It also allows us to fold when we are 3bet, where if we are raised when we limp we likely call but dont really know where we are at. (we can call this preflop raise due to implied odds and position)

When we raise preflop and get to heads up, we likely cbet this flop and if we are raised, again we have an easy fold, since we repped a big hand pre and post, and have position and more to bet, and still our opponent wants to play for more money on this board, so TP2K isnt good enough.

On the Turn, no we prolly dont call for 2k more, your out count is too optomistic, remember we might still be dominated by AT and we dont have king outs, we might be up against a set and dont have king outs, and we might be up against a flopped straight and dont have king outs, and we also might not have all our flush outs (due to board pairing and due to sets making boats, or them holding our flush cards with a straight for instance).... ON TOP of all of that, our 2k from our stack is worth more than 2k in the pile, so we must give our chips a premium at the start of a tournament.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I calculated the outs that I had at the present moment, and figured that any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] any King or any 10 and I would be good. That leaves me with 14 outs. The pot after my opponents $2,000 bet is $6,650. By the turn Im almost a 30% favorite to win and Im getting a little more then 3-1 on my call. So i called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but this is horrible. How can you think you have so many outs here? His min-raise flop screams of made hand (set/straight). I dont mind the bet out on the flop, but purely for informational purposes, once you get raised, give up here.

Once you've got to the turn, the fact that the A doesnt scare him should obviously tell you here that you're drawing to a heart and a heart only.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:00 AM

I would raise pre the first time around. I would probably call the SBs raise, but it is probably bad. I think I check back the flop and if I bet it I would fold to any raise. Fold turn, I kinda wish we were deeper so I could spew off and bluff river.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Thanx for the help and insight guys...I have only been playing for less the 2 years. My success so far in MTT's have been mixed, almost like waves. I have my good streaks and bad. I guess I just let this hand get away from me. I saw all the signs I was beat right from the min raise, but just couldn't find the discipline to fold.

Next time I will try to better analyze my "true outs" and not just any cards that will improve my hand. For all I know I can improve but it will be only to make 2nd best.