Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: why play limit?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if they added some feature in NL where you couldnt bet more than what was already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats for discovering pot limit.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because i cant make as much at nl as i can in limit, or at least i dont think i can. however, ive been strongly considering converting lately and have been trying to learn the game but definitely dont know it as well as limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

With your limit background you will have no trouble picking up NL. Just start off at 5/10 and see how you do. The games are really easy at that level and any competent player could easily beat it. I find NL much more profitable and interesting.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's here why you play limit vs no limit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because every time someone plays no limit, an angel gets AIDS.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this should be hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't wrong! I L'dMAO several times.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 AM

No limit ring games, and no-limit tournaments in particular are fueled by advertising gimmicks, which are making money for the business end of the gaming industry. That explains the current popularity of no-limit. But, no-limit is not new. No-limit of old died out, because so many folks busted out of it. Today's no-limit "to max." ring games are a gimmick, where you go all-in, lose, go in your pocket and re-buy. It a gimmick-type new form of poker. The gaming business itself has no interest in "real" no-limit poker ring games. Thus, the gimmicks. I prefer limit, where strategy and theory haven't been replaced by some strange individual on an adrenalin rush, going "all-in" on a bluff.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer limit, where strategy and theory haven't been replaced by some strange individual on an adrenalin rush, going "all-in" on a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

so theres no strategy and theory in todays no limit games? lol.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM

NL is so much easier to beat for much more money. how often do you find an online 10/20 limit game with eight loose passive monkeys just sitting there donating like madmen? sometimes i guess but not NEARLY as often as you will playing NL at equivalent stakes (what would that be? NL200? NL400?). i'm guessing it's a lot easier to do 5ptbb/100 at NL400 than 2bb/100 at $10/$20.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No limit ring games, and no-limit tournaments in particular are fueled by advertising gimmicks, which are making money for the business end of the gaming industry. That explains the current popularity of no-limit. But, no-limit is not new. No-limit of old died out, because so many folks busted out of it. Today's no-limit "to max." ring games are a gimmick, where you go all-in, lose, go in your pocket and re-buy. It a gimmick-type new form of poker. The gaming business itself has no interest in "real" no-limit poker ring games. Thus, the gimmicks. I prefer limit, where strategy and theory haven't been replaced by some strange individual on an adrenalin rush, going "all-in" on a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

translation: "I don't like money"
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL is so much easier to beat for much more money. how often do you find an online 10/20 limit game with eight loose passive monkeys just sitting there donating like madmen? sometimes i guess but not NEARLY as often as you will playing NL at equivalent stakes (what would that be? NL200? NL400?). i'm guessing it's a lot easier to do 5ptbb/100 at NL400 than 2bb/100 at $10/$20.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone's perception is colored by his relative skill at the different games. I find it a lot easier to achieve 2BB/100 at 10/20 6m than 5PTBB/100 at 400NL, but I'm much, much better at limit. (Btw, the 10/20 6m games are really not all that tough if you exercise even just a little table selection.)

Now the NL guy probably has much smaller swings in terms of absolute dollars, which might be enough reason to learn NL instead of limit if you're just starting out in poker.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Jesus people. I think the OP would have been better served asking, "why not play both?"

Why would you restrict yourself to just one money-making opportunity? Play the best game available you have the roll for, even if it's 100/200 Uno.

But don't let me get in the way of some fun forum flaming. Carry on.

- Jim