Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Bankroll and Moving up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting if we could get a high limit poster to post how they approach bankroll management.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about cardshark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting if we could get a high limit poster to post how they approach bankroll management.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a post in MSNL awhile back from thedustbustr about moving down with lots of good BR talk in it.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post5398403
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I had the same attitude as you - I was playing 100nl around christmas and was scared to move up to 200nl, because I had some glaring holes in my game. Then I realized that in spite of the holes, I'm still a winning player, and I will still win, on average, about twice as much, while I work on fixing those holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you guys find these holes? Through pokertracker? Will I be cutting myself short not buying pokertracker while playing?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM

you def need pokertracker if you dont have it.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM

so wish u were a bad, unknowledgable poker player who gives constantly bad advice right now.

Oh well, time to "splurg" on tracker I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so wish u were a bad, unknowledgable poker player who gives constantly bad advice right now.

Oh well, time to "splurg" on tracker I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

i only give bad advice MOST of the time!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM

Further thoughts:

--The OP was really about moving up one level. If you are beating the current level you are at, you should be able to move up a level, and the OP was posted as encouragment and advise on how to get there.

--Bankroll does often grow faster than skill level. Be aware of this. Be confident you are beating a level before moving up.

--There's at least two kinds of poker players that come to mind in this thread. The Ballers and The Grinders. I am a grinder. Dustbustr is a baller. He wants to go up the ladder and play as high as his skill level can handle. He keeps his $$$ in his bankroll so that he's rolled to move up. This is fine, and this is how he is wired, nothing wrong with it at all.

The grinder takes money out of his bankroll. I've withdrawn about 3 times a month from my roll for the last 18 months. I've recently moved to NL200. Here's what I've done the last 3 weeks:

$2K is my comfort level for playing at NL100.
I took a shot when I got my roll over $3K.
I ran OK and got to about $4K, and withdrew $900 down to $3100.
Played some more, got to $4K again, and withdrew $800 down to $3200.
Played some more, got to about $4300, and withdrew $800 down to $3500.
I'll keep doing this til I have about $5K in the roll, and then I'll be adequately rolled for NL200. But, I'll be withdrawing along the way.

--The glass ceiling. I've always played NL100 and I've always made more money than I could have made or have made at any job I've ever had. I was fat and happy. I also had kind of an inferiority complex about making more money. As in, I didn't really deserve to make this kind of money, much less more. I liked NL100, easy money (for me), low variance. My standard of living is very low compared to a Californian or a New Yorker, so I don't need $10K a month.

But, I recently broke thru. Hey, why can't I make "real good" money, instead of just "good" money? No reason, I decided. So now I'm trying to get fatter and happier. But, I plan on enjoying the money I make along the way by taking some out. Some others here may be hindered by the low expectations game, content with the earn, and feeling undeserving of a greater earn. Don't fall for it. Break thru.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 PM

sounds all well and good, but what if we suck?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(in all seriousness, np AJ)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 PM

AJ, excellent post. You are correct. People really need to understand what drives them to play and map out a game plan for what works for them.

Continued good luck.

Frank [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM

How do you suggest a winning limit player that is making the transition to nl approach choosing a level....

I am a winning 5/10 6 max player...1.8/100 for what its worth, but am moving to nl.

I have decided to take 3k and 4 table 100nl 6max to get my feet wet in NL. Does this level seem reasonable to start at?? I have been winning, but am still too fresh to establish a true win rate of course.

thanks