Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Dear Microsoft Guys

Dear Microsoft Guys,

I am very glad that you all have decided to inhabit the NL games at Tulalip. For the most part you all are smart, witty and pleasant to play cards with. Though you tend to play descently you do not take too much money off the tables. Some of you are even kind enough to leave a few buy-ins when you leave.

Just this one thing though. I realize that, as a rule, you are well educated and to get to where you are in the world you have had to compete and prove that you are REALLY REALLY SMART [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I agree wholeheartedly that it is good to be smart and I know that it feels really-really good to be viewed as smart. But this is not useful at a poker table. In fact, we make less money when we have convinced the table how much we know about poker. Please remember that this is the point of playing poker. There are plenty of games that are more intellectually challenging than our poker games. Playing poker well is about the money, not verbally demonstrated mastery of theoretical concepts.

And spending 5 minutes after a hand telling one of our recreational players why his river bet wasn't the best since it was unlikely to get called by a worse hand seems to me counter-productive. Ditto for the times that you verbally rule out certain hands as possibilities for one to hold.

I realize that you only have time to play poker and talk about it on the weekends, but please try not to educate everyone at our tables. I can assure you that the games will be more fun. Please wait until you are back in Redmond before you demonstrate just how smart you really are.

See you at the tables.

Thanks,

J99
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Dear Microsoft Guys

Just hand out Ubuntu Linux CDs at the table when they start educating the fish. Explain how within two years, Microsoft's share of the operating system market will be less than 50% and they will very likely be working the unemployment lines or dealing the games they used to play simply to eat more than once a week. They'll probably shut up.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:51 PM

I'd be more subtle. Just wear a t-shirt with a big penguin on it. If they ask you about it say your son (or grandson) Linus bought it for you.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be more subtle. Just wear a t-shirt with a big penguin on it. If they ask you about it say your son (or grandson) Linus bought it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong but wasn't Linus's father not in the picture?? Anyway, unless you speak Swedish/Finnish I don't think it would fly. Personally I'd just wear a OpenBSD shirt and talk about how running unsecure operating systems is like calling an all-in while playing the board.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just hand out Ubuntu Linux CDs at the table when they start educating the fish. Explain how within two years, Microsoft's share of the operating system market will be less than 50% and they will very likely be working the unemployment lines or dealing the games they used to play simply to eat more than once a week. They'll probably shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you linux guys have been saying this for sooo many years

pretty clear that it'll never happen, but dreams are nice!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just hand out Ubuntu Linux CDs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ignorant as far as IT things go (among other things lol), but is Ubantu the new Redhat in the Linux world [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you linux guys have been saying this for sooo many years

pretty clear that it'll never happen, but dreams are nice!

[/ QUOTE ]

right, i will take any amount of action you want that Microsft's share of the OS market will be greater than 50% at a date 2 years from now. And I'll offer you 5 to 1 odds. How 'bout that? PM me if interested fish.

P.S., this is from a guy who LIKES Linux.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will probably shut them up since they will be laughing at you for the next four or five hours. Not to mention even a 30-40% market share is still billions of dollars, and the majority of Microsoft's employees could get jobs at a fair number of other companies (Google for instance likes hiring ex-Microsofters).

Back to the OP, I agree in the "I want to make money" aspect of poker talking theory is bad. But a lot of people play poker for money/enjoyment. Talking theory enhances their enjoyment, so while it is counterproductive to your goals of playing, they have every right to do it. I suggest finding a different game if this is such a big problem.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'm all for Unix based OSs, but gimme a break.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'm all for Unix based OSs, but gimme a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, it's a little outlandish. But I would point out how Microsoft's current 93% stranglehold on the OS market will be more like 70-75% once something happens to call mainstream desktop (read: computer illiterate) attention to Ubuntu's userfriendliness and zero cost.