Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many tables do you currently play at once?
1 2 3.51%
2 8 14.04%
3 7 12.28%
4 19 33.33%
5-6 9 15.79%
7-8 7 12.28%
>8 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Putting opponent all-in on the river ...

That's the kind of information I was looking for.

If someone types in the exact amount I have left it does irritate me a little, but more importantly it makes me think 'why the heck did he do that when he could've just bet $5'. It makes me step back through the hand and see if everything makes sense. If it does then it reassures me to fold. On the other hand if things don't make sense I would guess it makes me more likely to call because it seems like he's trying to put the pressure on me. He must be trying to make me fold...he could be weak.

On the other hand a 1/2 pot river bet of $5 could seem almost like standard ABC play. Making me think 'maybe he's not paying attention, I could still be good here with my KQ'. I guess a lot depends on the opponent's mind set.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM

That's the other thing I forgot to add. When you type in the exact amount of villain's stack (especially against a LAGtard), it not only irritates him, but makes him think A) you're weak, or B) he's getting bullied and LAGs don't like that and usually push back. Might not be this particular hand, but like I said in an earlier post...you do it again or put him in a situation for all or most of his stack and you're confident you're ahead, he'll call you with second best hand for the sole reason that, "I DON'T GET PUSHED AROUND!!"

AC
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM

What about betting $4.56? I did it for attitude control (just got bad beat and thought this would be funny- maybe just to me). Funny thing is that the dude called without raising in his last $0.01. He had the 2nd best hand.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about betting $4.56? I did it for attitude control (just got bad beat and thought this would be funny- maybe just to me). Funny thing is that the dude called without raising in his last $0.01. He had the 2nd best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this as well. I don't know if it matters or not.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 PM

I typically shove to obscure the pot size.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 PM

I tried it, and it worked!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($19.15)
MP ($9.80)
CO ($7.75)
Button ($11.85)
SB ($9.75)
BB ($3.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB calls $0.90.

Turn: ($2.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, BB calls $2.25 (All-In).

River: ($0) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $7.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 2d As (two pair, fives and twos).
Hero has Qh Qd (two pair, queens and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins $7.25. </font>

Final Pot: $7.25

Or it might just be the fact that he sucked. But who knows?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has an added annoying benefit of screwing up his next hand before it is even dealt. Imagine villian waking up w/ AA, but with only $.01 in front of him. PRICELESS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I typically shove to obscure the pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best answer as the others are all just a question of levelling

Edit: Also I have def fallen for it myself in the past [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 PM

What about those who're using a betting script which bets a certain percentage of the pot on every street? I find it weird that noone ever mentions this option in bet-sizing discussions. Pluses:

- it's impossible to read your hand based on your bet sizing because you always bet the same amount

Minuses:
- it's impossible to take advantage of any ideas that consider bet-sizing and are discussed here, because you always bet the same amount

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i round up, so in this case id just go 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this really is a great OP. This, by the way, is the correct answer. In my experience, betting his exact stack projects an image, not of weakness, but of stregth. It's almost as if you know you've got him and want to make sure you get his money.
Rounding up however, seems to project the idea that you might be trying to buy it by betting a larger amount.
As for pushing, I think most newer player or awful players associate an "all-in" with a big hand, so that's less likely to be called.

Cody