Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Equilibrium in Pushbot mode

Hi!

Everybody folded, Hero is SB and in Pushbot mode.

Just to make sute I do understand right:

Hero never looses money in the long run if he plays the equilibrium? Hero wins money in the long run if opponent does not play the equilibrium?

Does an equilibrium for a situation exist where more than to players have to act?

Thanks
Lars
Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Equilibrium in Pushbot mode

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Hero never looses money in the long run if he plays the equilibrium? Hero wins money in the long run if opponent does not play the equilibrium?

Does an equilibrium for a situation exist where more than to players have to act?

Thanks
Lars

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. WTF are u talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM

I think you're trying to articulate the idea behind the ICM calculations for push/fold situations.

If you play perfectly by ICM, your play cannot be exploited. Playing perfectly by ICM requires you to know what your opponents pushing and calling ranges are and act accordingly.

If he is also playing perfectly, you can't exploit him either - you're just flipping coins until one of you busts. If he is not playing perfectly, ICM will be profitable and you will make money from him in the long run.

When he's playing suboptimally, you might be able to do better than ICM - but to do so, you'd have to know how his play differs from optimal and how to exploit it.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:39 AM

i think he's referring to this sci-fi film that never really got a good US release, came out in 2002, called equilibrium.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/
So to answer the question, I would say its worthy of a rent, but not a buy, and definitely not if you have to or more good movies to watch.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, playing NE will be at least 0-EV. But afaik 0-EV doesn't have to be $0, the situation can have a negative EV, playing NE will be at least that. If Hero plays NE and BB doesn't, BB loses, Hero wins. I think there's NE for situations with 2+ players to act too.

Playing NE usually doesn't have the best EV tho cos villains aren't playing even close to NE and are exploitable.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

Thanks
Lars

[/ QUOTE ]

What you said is true if there are only 2 players left in the tournament or if it is a cash game. But because $EV != ChipEV it's not true otherwise.

For example a bubble hand:
CO 700 folds
BTN 800 folds
SB 6000
BB 6000
Blinds 300/600

In this situation Nash equlibrium will be 100% push and 1.8% call (JJ+). If BB is a good player, then SB can push ATC. However, if BB is an idiot who will call with: 66+ AJ+ then SB can only push about 30%.

Lets say you are playing by Nash and push your random hand.
If BB calls with his 66 or AJ he is costing himself a lot of money. (About $50 if this was a $100 tournament.)

But you don't gain. You loose even more than him! His call will have cost you something like $150.