Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Strategy - help me fight the turn Donk Probe

This started happening a lot to me lately and I need some help against this. Assume 100bb deep against bad donky players. I open in mid pos to button in 6max, and the bb calls with stupid range, definitely stuff like suited multigappers, QTo, Axo etc. The flop misses me completely (let's say I have overs like AJ or KQ) and I feel like he's calling there with any pair, any draw being the fish he is. There's a lot of [censored] in his range that just hit whatever flop that missed me. So I check the flop behind.

Turn is a blank and he half pots it. This drives me [censored] insane. I know he's not strong, he might have a baby pocketpair or something like Ax Kx bottom pair or just air. He's stabbing a lot here, and don't even think about trying to push these guys off bottom pair here with a repop. With a glorious 40+ W->SD and magnificent "I put him on AK" mentality, he'll never have any problems playing big pots with [censored] here.

Problems: Whenever I repop, the villains call here and I don't have the balls to push a blank river unimproved fearing they're too stupid to put you on overpair. When I call the turn, there's another donky bet waiting on the river even with missed gutshots and whatever. I don't feel comfortable calling or raising with missed overs, because obv he puts me on AK. If I fold nearly every time here, I'm giving up value due to my preflop equity is way ahead of his and I have position.

Please help me fight turn lead, I'm running too bad to ever actually hit the flop [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Strategy - help me fight the turn Donk Probe

[ QUOTE ]
I know he's not strong

[/ QUOTE ]

then raise. Its that simple
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know he's not strong

[/ QUOTE ]

then raise. Its that simple

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to emphasize my point... assume the villain is level 0 who only thinks about his cards. He thinks he's SLOWPLAYING you with his Q8s mid pair. We're talking about players who limp/call A3o and call three barrels on Axx flop.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Play tight see lots of showdowns, don't think, win money.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Can you Cbet the flop and raise the turn? Of course there are the calling stations that simply wont fold a pair all the way. You have to identify these players and simply make a hand or give up.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you Cbet the flop and raise the turn? Of course there are the calling stations that simply wont fold a pair all the way. You have to identify these players and simply make a hand or give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you always 2barrel unimproved overs against guys who call to the river to see if their gutshot gets there and maybe pick a midpair along the way? Against guys who check/call two streets with naked fd and are ready to call the river too if they catch a pair along the way?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Playing against this type of player should be easy. Youre thinking on a way too advanced level. Youre instincts are good and you sense weakness. But you can't explot that weakness the same way you would against a good player. Against this kind of player, just make a hand and value bet it mercilessly. Youre gonna make your money by playing better in marginal situations here, not by putting crazy plays on him. If he bets out there just fold. He probably hit the flop harder than you did.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to emphasize my point... assume the villain is level 0 who only thinks about his cards. He thinks he's SLOWPLAYING you with his Q8s mid pair. We're talking about players who limp/call A3o and call three barrels on Axx flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

valushove hands that beat them, fold the rest....its just that easy
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 PM

raise turn. shove river.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Flop is J52 you have JT

check flop behind

turn 8

he donks

raise, he calls