Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Let\'s ask Ron Paul supporters to write letters on our behalf

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I did along with seeing that huge pic of Paul and PPA. but you failed to metion that the PPA does not support Paul.I am sure this was just an over sight on your part and that you plan to post later that while you hope RP people write all their congressmen about the ban on poker the PPA refuses to be involved with the Ron Paul movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I mentioned it. Yesterday. Please read the whole thread before casting accusions.

The PPA isn't "refusing" to get involved. It's not a 527 organization. PPA lobbies for positions, but doesn't endorse candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but my point if they are not going to back anyone with money or votes, why would anyone risk joining them and pissing off the right wingers who can cost them both money and votes. Gun owners have the NRA. Unions back candidates for favor. the Right wing well we know they can throw an election, but the PPA just says, plese forget the right wing family crowd. Tell them to keep their vote and back us, though we can not in anyway support you. That does not sound dysfunctional to you? Keep writing those letter that congressmen never read and going to Washington to hear thanks but no thanks. Noble work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another uninformed post.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that

[/ QUOTE ]

It does not appear that you do. Please stop wasting our time.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Here's my Ron Paul forum post. Does it look manipulative to anyone but gamblerNC1 (BTW, we're not gamblers):

Hi all. This is my first post here, but I have been a Ron Paul supporter since late last year. I've posted regularly about this at www.twoplustwo.com and at other sites. I started supporting him when he was one of the few politicians to support my right to play poker and other games on the Internet. Is this the most important issue confronting us today? Perhaps not, but it is important to many poker players and freedom lovers, and it’s important to Dr. Paul too. He has often spoken out in our favor. And, he found time last week to meet with me and with some fellow poker players (which was awesome):

Victor Ramdin, Andy Bloch, Rep. Ron Paul, Howard Lederer, Chris Ferguson, and me

Federal restrictions on Internet poker is the ultimate expression of the nanny-state attitudes so prevalent in Washington D.C. Perhaps that’s why we should all fight hard for this, as Rep. Paul has. I’ve been fighting, and I hope you’ll all join the fight.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Non-poker playing Ron Paul supporters support our position implicitly. They also seem to have boundless energy and enthusiasm that has only limited outlets. Let's post there sometimes to get them to help us out. I'll bet we could get a whole lot of help from them.

I started a thread at www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=356283&posted=1#post356283. It's gotten a ton of responses, all positive (I did post that picture of Ron Paul with the pros from the Fly-In...didn't hurt, to say the least). The forum is so busy that it's hard for me to keep my thread on the front page. Please comment there, and make sure to vote the thread 5-stars. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on most things but this sounds manipulative to me. If I understand you, right you wish to get RP supporters to write letters in support of our issue, while PPA to the best of my knowledge as not asked there members to support Ron Paul. If PPA has backed Ron Paul I stand corrected, but I have been to there page many times and see nothing that ask members to support Ron Paul through donations or votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this last night: "Due to the structure of the PPA, we won't be able to endorse anyone". Could I have been any clearer?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Non-poker playing Ron Paul supporters support our position implicitly. They also seem to have boundless energy and enthusiasm that has only limited outlets. Let's post there sometimes to get them to help us out. I'll bet we could get a whole lot of help from them.

I started a thread at www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=356283&posted=1#post356283. It's gotten a ton of responses, all positive (I did post that picture of Ron Paul with the pros from the Fly-In...didn't hurt, to say the least). The forum is so busy that it's hard for me to keep my thread on the front page. Please comment there, and make sure to vote the thread 5-stars. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on most things but this sounds manipulative to me. If I understand you, right you wish to get RP supporters to write letters in support of our issue, while PPA to the best of my knowledge as not asked there members to support Ron Paul. If PPA has backed Ron Paul I stand corrected, but I have been to there page many times and see nothing that ask members to support Ron Paul through donations or votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this last night: "Due to the structure of the PPA, we won't be able to endorse anyone". Could I have been any clearer?

[/ QUOTE ]

And could i be any clearer. Thia is why they are usless and dysfunctional. To be effective we need a group who can endores those that support us as other goups do. Though many causes have a group start the same way as the PPA and then branch off into another group who can support and donate money to someone, but i am sure you know all about soft money and these groups. Without something to back up our pleas I don't understand how you can think a group can effect change. PPA has nothing to offer, not votes or endorements or money.

You know as well as i do that to make things happen you have to have something to give back. What is it that PPA offers?

When i said noble work by the way i emant it. I do respect your drive in this but I also realize that writing letters that never gets read are a waste of time. The time can better be spent on those endovors that produce results. Perhaps you would consider starting a real group with real power. One that can give something back to those that stick their neck out for poker and PPA. Sign me up as long as it does not revolve around writing letters that college kids working part time open up and send back with a form letter.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And could i be any clearer. Thia is why they are usless and dysfunctional. To be effective we need a group who can endores those that support us as other goups do. Though many causes have a group start the same way as the PPA and then branch off into another group who can support and donate money to someone, but i am sure you know all about soft money and these groups. Without something to back up our pleas I don't understand how you can think a group can effect change. PPA has nothing to offer, not votes or endorements or money.

You know as well as i do that to make things happen you have to have something to give back. What is it that PPA offers?

When i said noble work by the way i emant it. I do respect your drive in this but I also realize that writing letters that never gets read are a waste of time. The time can better be spent on those endovors that produce results. Perhaps you would consider starting a real group with real power. One that can give something back to those that stick their neck out for poker and PPA. Sign me up as long as it does not revolve around writing letters that college kids working part time open up and send back with a form letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more with everything you posted. It's like you're just regurgitating things you've heard from others, but you post it as if its indisputable fact.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Gaqmbler, I direct you to the thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=2&vc=1

This has been proposed and is being looked at by the PPA, a 527 or (c)(4) offshoot group.

Patience is needed though, Rome was not built in a day and the PPA is only really now getting active, though I would agree, speed is important.

One thing mentioned here, money.

How many are actually pay members and how many are just free? All things take money, money to staff offices, rent, lights, heat, water.......

Me, yes, I am a paying member and will continue to be and may increase my membership, will increase it, if a side group is started since each will require funding.

Will you step up and help fund a 527 or (c)(4)?

obg
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been proposed and is being looked at by the PPA, a 527 or (c)(4) offshoot group.

Patience is needed though, Rome was not built in a day and the PPA is only really now getting active, though I would agree, speed is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

This issue has been around much longer than that. Rome may not have been built in a day, but how much money has gone to "smart" lobbiests who knew this day was comming long before now?

The PPA is dysfunctional in that on one hand it calls itself a grassroots organization devoted to issue advoacy but isn't actually organazed as a group that can do so.

Take TE's KY announcements, and I'm sure the lawyers looked at them, they come pretty close to endorsing a candidate without actually doing so.

The PPA as structured can only educate members of Congress and sure it has done well on the House side of the Hill. The ogranization acts like 1/2 the time that the lobbing strategy will win the day, then looks around and says we're a grassroots group dedicated to keeping poker legal.

Sorry you just can be of "two minds" and realistically achieve your objective.

For almost 6 months that I know of this issue of the political identity of the PPA has been an issue. We have weeks until the first primaries and less than a year until the next general election.

We are wasting time!

D$D
Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

An impressive RP story at AOL and why we should be courting them to help support us, in a poll 57% said they felt RP can win the GOP nomination.

Not scientific, but impressive anyway.

Story:
http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-110607B.html

obg
Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gaqmbler, I direct you to the thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=2&vc=1

One thing mentioned here, money.

How many are actually pay members and how many are just free? All things take money, money to staff offices, rent, lights, heat, water.......

Me, yes, I am a paying member and will continue to be and may increase my membership, will increase it, if a side group is started since each will require funding.

Will you step up and help fund a 527 or (c)(4)?

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a donation and joined when they first started up, but have not and will not give anything to what is no more than a letter writing campaigne. Sorry, if they start a group that has real teeth i might once again donate.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

An impressive RP story at AOL and why we should be courting them to help support us, in a poll 57% said they felt RP can win the GOP nomination.

Not scientific, but impressive anyway.

Story:
http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-110607B.html

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it, that was cool. Not scientific maybe but I am not sure how many of what is suppose to be scientific polls really are. Seems most are carefully set up to produce basis. I read an article today from one of the polling sites and cannot remember which one but it was a national and recognized poll. They admitted that something in the polls was wrong. They felt it would be impossible for Ron Paul to only being polling 5% nationally and raise as much money as he did. They also pointed out his performance in straw polls and stated that these factors and others, represented more like 15 or 20 % base. So I am not surprised that 57% said he had a chance. Something is flawed with the polling, I have no doubt. Many of Ron Paul’s supports are flying under the radar of the polling methods.