Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: My reservations regarding Ron Paul...

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like Ron Paul 100x better if people on here didn't refer to him as "Dr. Paul"... that just sounds pretentious and retarded imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he just had a doctorate instead of being a medical doctor I would agree. Calling doctors "Dr. X" is pretty much standard though.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM

I really don’t understand why anyone would have reservations of voting for a Presidential candidate based on his stand on pro-life or pro-choice. Bush is pro-life but other than appointing conservative members to the Supreme Court, he has no control over it. Ron Paul may want to return this power to the state, but it ain’t going to happen. I would look more at how he stands on issues that the President has the power to control.

Things such as getting out of Iraq, balanced budgets, and of course the favorite issue here, the freedom of the internet and our constitution right to play poker on line, which he fully supports
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the freedom of the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how is this an issue? I cannot remember to have read or heard anything about any major politician in the US saying anything that made me feel he or her was opposed to the freedom of the internet. I know Ron Paul talks about how he is against taxation and regulation of the internet, but arent they all?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM

uh.....Am i mistaken or is the law to stop you from playing poker on line a infringement on internet freedom?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the freedom of the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how is this an issue? I cannot remember to have read or heard anything about any major politician in the US saying anything that made me feel he or her was opposed to the freedom of the internet. I know Ron Paul talks about how he is against taxation and regulation of the internet, but arent they all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how is this an issue?

Seriously? Is this a joke?

I cannot remember to have read or heard anything about any major politician in the US saying anything that made me feel he or her was opposed to the freedom of the internet.

Last time I tried to sign on to Party poker or NetTeller they informed me they no longer accept U.S. players.

I know Ron Paul talks about how he is against taxation and regulation of the internet, but aren’t they all?

Oh yeah, they all are, including Frist, Bush. Do not let they little law against online poker fool you, they will fight to the death for your rights. That is as long as they agree with you, and it does not cost them votes of the Family value folks.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM

From my understanding he would not institute some sort of national ban on abortion

The President does not have the authority to do this.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM

the ironic thing is that RP's stance on states' rights really should make his view abortion a non-issue
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like Ron Paul 100x better if people on here didn't refer to him as "Dr. Paul"... that just sounds pretentious and retarded imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that he's a doctor.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woodrow Wilson was a PhD. We don't call him Dr. Wilson. William Harrison was a medical doctor. Do you refer to him as Doctor Harrison?

I honestly don't know what is the proper title --- for me it makes sense to call him the title most closely associated with the role being discussed. President Harrison would be President for most all discussions. However, if he were performing a surgery, I would call him Dr. Harrison. Similarly, for most discussions on this board, I think Congressman Paul is probably the appropriate title.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know he is a doctor. However, "Dr." replaces "Mr." as the title preceding a medical doctor's name.

The problem is that none of the other candidates are referred to as Mr. Obama or Mr. Romney. So when you are talking about candidates and you say things like "I disagree with Obama and Romney's stance on things. I have more faith in Dr. Paul".

Just sounds retarded to me, especially since it's only done by his supporters.