Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Trips on the flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In this spot I usually try to see a turn card for cheap. If I pair one of my cards on the turn, you can usually assume that you have the best hand, but this also depends on reads of the table. If there is a bet on the turn when the turn card is better than my two cards I'd just fold if someone showed any strength.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure you are answering OP here and not some other post?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, I see now that you actually interpreted OP correctly and I didn't. Sucks to be me.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OR as I watched yesterday, watch KK bet preflop, flop, and shove turn only to lose at the end. Not to a 7, but to someone with A-5 who won when the case 7 hit the river. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That almost exact hand happened to me, wasn't yesterday, but it was my KK vs A4o on a 888K8 board. All in by the turn as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this situation occurs enough to even warrant a discussion, but how do you deal with a flop of, say, trip sevens if you're not holding a face?
I didn't put a specific hand because I'm searching for a more general answer

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flop is 777 and I don't hold a 7, then I'm very cautious about playing a big pot even if I have AA. I'd just as soon play a small pot vs some lower pair, than get stacked by 78s, especially if the stacks are deep.

I suppose if they're shallow and I'm up against an overly aggressive opponent, I'll get all-in with TT-AA if I think he has a lower pair than I have more often than a 7 or a higher pair.

On the other hand, if I have 7x and the flop is 77y, that is a different story. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean the flop is 777?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm... so you're saying that you're afraid of 4 of a kind when you flop the best house possible with pocket AA and a 777 flop? That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, with deep stacks and a limped or raised (not reraised) pot, stacks aren't going in the middle by the river unless somebody has the case 7 vs somebody else who doesn't believe him with a pair (TT-AA). And I would hate to be the guy with the pair. I'd rather give up a small-to-medium pot than get all in drawing to runner runner quads.

So when tighty with $1000 goes all-in on a flop with $50 in it and you have "AA" and he stacks you, just remember that "stupid is as stupid does."

Things are obviously different if the stacks are shallower, or there are other mitigating factors (like the flop is 222 or 333 in a raised pot where villain is very unlikely to have A2s or A3s). Or if the pot was raised and reraised and I think villain has KK or QQ and wouldn't even be in the pot given the preflop action with the case 7. Then I'd felt it with AA on 777.

But, in general, if I think the case 7 is in a villain's hand range given the preflop action (i.e. I raise preflop and he calls in LP along with several others), and if the stacks are deep, then I proceed with caution even with the aces. I want to win the most when I'm ahead, but I don't want to get stacked, either.

100bb games in a raised pot, I'd stack off too. 200+bb games in a raised or limped pot (i.e. a limp/rr attempt failed to get raised), then I'm more cautious.

My point is that you need to put villain on a hand and think what villain puts you on. If he doesn't care what you have for lots of money post flop, then he will show up with quads a whole lot more than some small, random percentage of the time.