Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Once - (Movie recommendation)

Just watched this last night. My GF and I both loved it. The two leads have incredible chemistry.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 AM

I really enjoyed the movie as well. Just want to add a quick note of somehting I found interesting. I found it slightly annoying when the guy always said "cool". Now I have a TA for a summer school class in London who says it the exact same way and I love it when she says it.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 AM

thanks for the rec Zee, sounds very interesting (and I love music and absolutely hate musicals), only can't seem to find whether I missed it in the cinemas over here in Europe or that it still has to be released.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just watched this last night. My GF and I both loved it. The two leads have incredible chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

for sure. according to wikipedia they are now a couple IRL.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Default just saw it

wow wow wow

fantastic, transcendent, miraculous.

what a grlllate fookin' movie. (in Dublinese)

Best movie I've seen this year, hands down. Glen Hansard is fantastic and so is Marketa Irglova. A simple and perfect love story. I don't know why or how this movie soars like it does, but I guess that's the miracle isn't it? Writer/director John Carney shows a confidence in his storyelling that's just brilliant.

Hansard is now my favorite singer/songwriter and I'm going to buy everything he's ever done. Apparently he and Irglova recorded an album last year, as well. Gotta find that. And Irglova is simply luminous in a girl-next-door, Eastern-European, big schnozz kinda way. You can have your Playboy models, I'll take Marketa, thank you very much.

The songs! I can't explain it, but I nearly burst into tears in the middle of the song they first play at the music store together. It moved me that much. And then to hear it with full orchestration at the end - incredible. Great, great songs all around.

Go search it out, it's worth the trouble.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: just saw it

Is this movie really as good as Lives of Others? I didn't think I'd see another movie anytime soon that was close to as good as that. I'll see if this is showing in New Orleans.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Dom,

I'm pretty surprised it took you this long to see it!

And yeah, the movie is ridiculously awesome.

Oh and the trailer is garbage...plz do not even pay attention to it. GO SEE THE MOVIE!!

Yugoslav
Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 PM

My girlfriend and I were quite excited to see this, based on the rave reviews in this thread and the youtubed Ebert & Roeper review.

The closest place it was playing to us was over an hour away but we went anyway. Paid 2 tolls on the highways just to go see it!

We were both dissappointed and shocked that everybody loved it so much. I felt like it was pretty good, but definately not as great as I was led to believe. I kind of felt like the whole time was spent building up and it never really climaxed or concluded.

Ever since we saw it we both can't stop listening to the handful of songs from the movie easily listened to on youtube.

The other day she half jokingly said "Maybe we both liked the movie a lot?" since we can't stop listening to the songs. As it turns out a small local theatre that was playing it a while ago is bringing it back this Friday by popular demand and we are planning on going to see it again.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom,

I'm pretty surprised it took you this long to see it!

And yeah, the movie is ridiculously awesome.

Oh and the trailer is garbage...plz do not even pay attention to it. GO SEE THE MOVIE!!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize it had opened in Vegas until last week...
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM

I would like to whole-herteadly add my endorsement of this movie. And I'm fairly hard to entertain. I got a little tear at the end.