Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: NEW REVIEW

Huh, ok. So it looks like Alaskan and the Schwelmer alt I have are of the north German variety, and I have no idea what that light beer was doing being called an Alt.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:40 AM

Slight hijack, but I was wondering where would be the best place to score a nice snifter and/or tulip glass for my favorite strong beers?

I recently picked up some La Fin du Monde based on the rave reviews here so I wanted to pick up the appropriate glassware so I can fully enjoy it.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Well, I got mine at the same place where I shop for my beer. There are a number of places online that have good stuff, and I'm sure some of those stores have B&M stores, too.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a bar here in the town I study in that sells them from the tap for about 1.8$

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 PM

if anyone wants to try an IPA that balances a strong hop flavor pretty well, try

lagunitas "freak out"

sorry if you cant find it. it's available in southern california for sure.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM

I know I can get at least a few Lagunitas beers at Beers of the World in Rochester, so their distribution can't suck too hard. I'll look it up.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I can get at least a few Lagunitas beers at Beers of the World in Rochester, so their distribution can't suck too hard. I'll look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, their distribution do not suck. We even get them in Denmark. I haven't tried the above mentioned beer but their Maximus IPA is great
Old 09-21-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No, their distribution do not suck. We even get them in Denmark. I haven't tried the above mentioned beer but their Maximus IPA is great

[/ QUOTE ]

Maximus is awesome. Their [censored] copper ale is pretty mediocre, though it could be a style thing with me.

I'm currently enjoying their Imperial Red. Quite good. Good balance of hops and malt. 7.4%, $8 and change for a six pack. Good value.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Coopers Australian Beer

I finally got around to sampling the Cooper's Sparkling Ale side by side with Flying Dog's Tire Bite Golden Ale. First, one of my favorite beers - Tire Bite. Flying Dog is a Denver based Microbrewery. Not sure how widely distributed it is. Tire Bite has a bright yellow gold color. When I poured it into my glass, it had a nice white head that lasted quite awhile. I really like the mouth feel - very full bodied. It's got a very sweet malt flavor with just a touch of bitterness. I give it 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The Cooper's Sparkling Ale is a bottle conditioned beer. It has a sediment of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. I poured the yeast into my glass. I think this probably affected the color. It is a bit lighter - more of a straw gold color. The head seemed thinner and didn't last as long as the Tire Bite. Also, the beer felt lighter and thinner in my mouth. It had a very acidic taste. This may have been due to the yeast or maybe it was more carbonated. It was little more bitter, and a little less sweet than the Tire Bite. IMO, This beer rates about 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Coopers Australian Beer

I was out at a bar this weekend that had a whole array of German Oktoberfest beers available. I tried two: one from Ayinger and one from Paulaner. Having tried the Saratoga lager, which I'd also discovered at this same bar, I wanted to try out some more beers of the same style.

First, I tried the Ayinger. The beer pours with a slight head. It's light brown in color, and clear, as a lager should be. It's not as light as a pilsner, but it's lighter than brown ales and such. The smell and the flavor is rich and complex. I was not at all expecting something this deep. There are great flavors of chocolate, spice, and coffee, and all this is in addition to a solid malt base. The beer isn't too sweet, though, and it isn't too heavy or alcohol-laden. It would be really easy to put pint after pint of this beer away, and every sip would be delicious. Even non-beer-drinkers who tried this enjoyed it. I give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

By contrast, the Paulaner didn't compare as well. The color and malt flavors were similar, but it didn't have as much spiciness, and the chocolate and coffee flavors weren't really there. This was still a solid lager that was quite enjoyable, but having tried the Ayinger first, I kept longing for it after every sip of the Paulaner. I give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].