Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Derek Jeter -- hitting streak over?

So Jeter, with a 21 game hitting streak, was just taken out of the Yankee game after going 0 for 0 with three walks and a HBP. On the radio, Waldman and Sterling (Yankee announcers who I don't trust) said his hitting streak was over. Is this correct? I recall hearing that if you don't have an official at bat (or a sacrifice fly) that the game does not count as a hitless game for hitting streak purposes. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there really a rule about this?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Derek Jeter -- hitting streak over?

Never mind -- I found out that I ams right and they are wrong. From the MLB rules:

[ QUOTE ]
GUIDELINES FOR CUMULATIVE PERFORMANCE RECORDS
CONSECUTIVE HITTING STREAKS.
(a) A consecutive hitting streak shall not be terminated if the plate appearance results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly shall terminate the streak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 PM

So in other words they took him out of the game to keep the streak alive.
Also getting a free pass four times in four ab's is really sick for a guy who has hit like ten or so homers.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So in other words they took him out of the game to keep the streak alive.
Also getting a free pass four times in four ab's is really sick for a guy who has hit like ten or so homers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that was the reason -- they took out most of the starters since the Yanks were crushing the Rays 12-0. Jeter had at least one and possibly two plate appearances left when he was taken out.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 PM

I had read on ESPN that "Jeter batted in each of the first four innings without getting an official at-bat: He had three walks and was hit by a pitch. He didn't bat again, and his career-high 21-game hitting streak remained intact."

I see you've cited the rule. To me, it's a bad rule. Either you get a hit in consecutive games you play or you don't.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM

Yeah, especially since "nobody cares about individual awards on that team" as they are "still trying to win a division."
That rule is really surprising to me. I wonder if Jeter even knew.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:45 PM

When I first saw the box score, and that he was pinch-hit for, I imagined Torre had asked Jeter if he wanted to hit to try to keep the streak alive. Not knowing what actually happened, I'd bet that they looked up the rule and, realizing Jeter would have only one at-bat to try to keep the streak alive, they decided to hit for him, telling him the rule. Torre has been hitting for his players in blow-outs, resting them as the season winds down, so it would look normal at first glance.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 AM

Just saw it on Sportscenter.. not sure how true this is.

They said Torre took him out, and then after told Jeter, "sorry!! forgot about the streak" and Jeter said "That's OK." They were both unaware of the rule.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it on Sportscenter.. not sure how true this is.

They said Torre took him out, and then after told Jeter, "sorry!! forgot about the streak" and Jeter said "That's OK." They were both unaware of the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the AP story:
[ QUOTE ]
Yankees manager Joe Torre at first forgot about the streak when he pinch hit for Jeter in the seventh.

``I apologized,'' Torre said. ``He said, `I wasn't going to catch him, anyway,''' a reference to Joe DiMaggio's record 56-game streak.

Then Torre found out that Jeter's streak continued under the rules. Jeter, whose .346 average is second in the AL to Minnesota's Joe Mauer (.348), can't avoid the streak these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Yankee haters will chose to think the worst...
Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had read on ESPN that "Jeter batted in each of the first four innings without getting an official at-bat: He had three walks and was hit by a pitch. He didn't bat again, and his career-high 21-game hitting streak remained intact."

I see you've cited the rule. To me, it's a bad rule. Either you get a hit in consecutive games you play or you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I think it's okay. As long as BB and HBP don't actually count as an at bat, I don't think he should be penalized for it.