Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Suggestions for Vegas Mid-stakes?

Heading to Vegas for the first time since my conversion to a serious poker player. Any recommendations or suggestions on where to play mid-stakes? I'm most interested in where the opposition is juiciest, but ideas on comfort or style are also welcome.

I've played as high as 20/40 at Commerce and Hawaiian Gardens in Southern California, and plan on playing at that level in Vegas.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for Vegas Mid-stakes?

20-40 at Mirage is usually very soft but doesn't run 24-7 (seemed to just run weekends when I was there, and that was during the WSOP). 15-30 at Bellagio is very soft as well, softer than the Wynn game of that limit (though that is also good). 30-60 at Bellagio is generally very good as long as your comfortable with the stakes.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
20-40 at Mirage is usually very soft but doesn't run 24-7 (seemed to just run weekends when I was there, and that was during the WSOP). 15-30 at Bellagio is very soft as well, softer than the Wynn game of that limit (though that is also good). 30-60 at Bellagio is generally very good as long as your comfortable with the stakes.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup $15-30 and 30-60 at Bellagio and Wynn. $10-20 and $20-40 at Mirage. There generally isn't anything else that goes regularly enough to bother discussing. Bellagio $15-30 is generally the softest and easiest of these.

Don't expect Commerce level games. The players are passive and tighter and most of your pots are going to be 3 to the flop. In general you should look for a wide range of hands to play in later position and you should be happy winning lots of small pots. Anything you do play should be played with the pedal to the metal, but be cautious from raises from passive players. Lots of Vegas softies are calldown/fold monkeys and a raise from them often means a very strong hand. The monster pots that happen at Commerce happen less often in Vegas. The games do get loose if there are lots of drunks.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks. I'm really looking for to hitting some of these tables. Commerce is crazy and fun, but sometimes you just want a change of gears. I've found I make the most money on tight passive tables at Commerce, so I should be good for what you're describing.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Not too many around. Wynn 15-30, Mirage 10-20 Bellagio 15-30
The games are rock gardens during the week, more juicy on the weekend nights.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup $15-30 and 30-60 at Bellagio and Wynn. $10-20 and $20-40 at Mirage. There generally isn't anything else that goes regularly enough to bother discussing. Bellagio $15-30 is generally the softest and easiest of these.

Don't expect Commerce level games. The players are passive and tighter and most of your pots are going to be 3 to the flop. In general you should look for a wide range of hands to play in later position and you should be happy winning lots of small pots. Anything you do play should be played with the pedal to the metal, but be cautious from raises from passive players. Lots of Vegas softies are calldown/fold monkeys and a raise from them often means a very strong hand. The monster pots that happen at Commerce happen less often in Vegas. The games do get loose if there are lots of drunks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or one obnoxious lucky drunk. He'll tick everyone else off, who then chase like crazy to beat him.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM

see my post a month back about "why I hate Bellagio" w.r.t. comfort. It may be different at the levels you're playing; I'm not sure and if you're playing higher stakes the best games are likely at the Bellagio
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Hey guys I'll be out in a few weeks and will also be playing these limits. I was wondering a few things about the 10/20 game at the Mirage which I plan on playing.

1) Does it pretty much run all the time or just busy times like nights and weekends?
2) How many games of this limit do they usually get going?
3) How does the game usually play? If it is going during the weekdays is it a complete rock garden?

Also, I have heard The Wynn 8/16 and 15/30 play pretty tight and have lots of good local players so It's probably just better to play these at Bellagio.
Any truth to that?

Thanks Guys
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM

My impression is that the Mirage 10-20 game probably runs 16 hours a day with one to three tables (1-2 20-40 games). No idea how it plays. You are mistaken about the wynn. 8-16 is a fish fest and the "good local players" aren't that good at 15-30.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Mirage 10-20 pretty much plays 24x7. During periods, there maybe up to the tables. I have found the game varies greatly. Sometimes TAG tables, sometimes LAG tables.

Ignoring the whining about the Bellagio, I found the 15-30 very enriching. I plan to play there almost exclusively in the future. It seems to be filled with people visiting LV who have heard of Texas Holdem and have money to throw away.
You really only have two choices for Limit holdem in LV. Bellagio and Mirage. Other places mostly play just 3-6. Wynn and Venice have other limits, but mostly only during peak times. Bellagio plays all the way up to 4000-8000 limit on Saturday nights.