Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Too passive post-flop?

I think I am being too passive post-flop and it is costing me money. I am either missing out on value bets or letting opponents outdraw me cheaply.

Villain is mouse 19/0/0 after 51 hands

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

A flop bet here might have got a mouse to fold. A raise or even a call might tell me that someone has an A. With everybody checking I dont know where I stand. Someone might be slow-playing.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Too passive post-flop?

I am betting the flop. For the same reasons you said about getting information about villians hands. I dont like the turn Q, but I will bet/fold. They way you played the hand, I am also checking behind on the river.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 PM

I think most people here who flopped trips are just going to smooth call as a slowplay, so betting out isn't going to tell you anything. It'll get the folks holding broadway cards to fold though.

Isn't playing OOP fun?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A flop bet here might have got a mouse to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been reading Phil Hellmuth?

Just bet the flop
Old 03-27-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A flop bet here might have got a mouse to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been reading Phil Hellmuth?

Just bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

No I dont read Phil. Is that one of his sayings?

But thanks. I should be betting those types of flops.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No I dont read Phil. Is that one of his sayings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I was in a silly mood, his book was the first poker book I read a year ago before quickly ditching it for Ed Miller's GSIHE.

Phil generally referred to his reads as types of animals I just thought that's what you meant.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Bet the flop. Missing the flop bet will often cost you the entire pot. The fact that there are two aces should make you think that your hand may be the best right now. With these hands you want to use the "paper tiger" technique. Play them aggressively but fold to any resistance.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 PM

If I raise pre flop I always lead out on the flop. You especially need to do it here. There are only 2 other aces so theres a decent chance no-one has one. No-one can call a flop bet without an Ace or 33 and if your the raiser everyone will assume you have one. There are lots of cards that can beat your TT (I'm assuming you lost to a Q) so I'm definately betting the flop.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 PM

I lead this flop every time as I want those overcards to fold. If I get called I bet/fold the turn but if I get raised on the flop by a guy with 19/0/0 stats I fold it.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No-one can call a flop bet without an Ace or 33 and if your the raiser everyone will assume you have one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. It's obvious you and I are playing in two completely games, 'cuz my opponents call with anything that suits their fancy, especially broadway cards and little pairs hoping something good will happen. Nonetheless I agree it's best to bet this flop just in case the fish show a shred of sanity.

I think I check behind on the river but my river aggression is way down right now so I'm probably being too passive.