Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 AM

Default 5Dimes Cautionary Tales (LC)

Quick story on how I lost about $650 today. Keep in mind I'm a casual bettor who works off a $1600 bankroll that I arrived at by donking around a $200 deposit.

I'm short about $210 on LSU to win the title from a little while back. I am putting $190 on the LSU moneyline today as a hedge.

BEAT: I was at my aunt's house and found out last minute there's no internet.
BEAT: I call my buddy to place it but I have my log-in wrong.
BEAT: I remember my log-in while on the phone with my gf a couple of minutes before kick-off. Have her log-in and put "190" in the LSU moneyline box. She says: "should I enter the password again to confirm?" Me: "yes" Her: "ok" Me: "k what does the screen say?" Her: "Risking 855 to win 190" Me: "oh dear. ok."
BEAT: It's too late to bet the other side, plus I would've hated to lose $50 or whatever on the immediate hedge.
BEAT: I almost made this bet before I left town but wanted to wait for the reduced juice.
BEAT: I would've made the bet from my phone but thought it couldn't access 5dimes. I later found that i could.
BEAT: I didn't check out the 5dimes via phone angle closer because my battery was dying. This is because my main phone was accidentally left at home and I was using an extra phone that happened to be in my car for which I had no charger. I later found out my car charger works with the extra phone.
BEAT: Arkansas somehow won?
BEAT: I almost never made this LSU short play in the first place because I thought unforeseen circumstances might outweigh any edge I had.

On the other hand, I was $90 long on WVU, and my aunt found out I'd accidentally bet a few hundred on the game, felt bad, and gave me a check for $250.

I'm still in shock at all the things that aligned for this to happen right down to Arkansas actually winning. Hopefully this was an intersting LC tale, otherwise kick the thread to the curb and add it to my list of beats.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: 5Dimes Cautionary Tales (LC)

My wife did something similar for me before betting a long ML to win not to risk. For about $400 to win around $100. The team it was on won by like 30. I run goot! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: 5Dimes Cautionary Tales (LC)

Thanks, I won't ask your gf to bet for me anymore LDO!