Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Short stack near bubble of $50 6-max, keep getting reraised

I was a short stack near the bubble, and it seemed like everyone thought I would play weak/tight. Got reraised all three times I raised in 9 hands. Didn't feel I could fold these initially, but didn't think they were strong enough after reraise. Villains either pushed or seemed pot committed.

I know I have a reputation for hating to fold to a reraise. I could have stop and goed a couple of these hands. Also, maybe it would have been better to limp with the possibility of a limpreraise. Although everyone thought they could push around a small stack, they might respect a push they couldn't reraise and assume it represented real strength from someone playing weak/tight.

Eventually recovered and finished 13th with 30 places paying, just missing 2nd table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t5348)
SB (t5580)
BB (t5460)
UTG (t18543)
MP (t2095)
CO (t14245)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t5660</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6360

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. BB wins t6360. </font>

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t4698)
MP (t4230)
CO (t7060)
Button (t19243)
SB (t1845)
BB (t14195)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t1525</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2050

No showdown. MP wins t2050. </font>

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t3473)
Button (t4205)
SB (t6585)
BB (t1845)
UTG (t17945)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1525</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2025

No showdown. Button wins t2025. </font>
Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Short stack near bubble of $50 6-max, keep getting reraised

i would felt 3d hand
Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 PM

Beware the great overthink. Sometimes the other guys just get better hands.

That said, I'd probably shove the third one if these three hands happened pretty close to each other.

Also, you have plenty of chips. If the table is reraising like crazy just tighten up and wait for hands you don't mind felting.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 PM

You might be slightly ahead in #1 against overall resteal range, but, yeah, good fold.

#2. Never mind. Don't steal light at an active table, especially UTG. You'll need a pail for the cumulative spew.

#3. Oops. Bad spot. Why didn't you openshove instead?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beware the great overthink. Sometimes the other guys just get better hands.

That said, I'd probably shove the third one if these three hands happened pretty close to each other.

Also, you have plenty of chips. If the table is reraising like crazy just tighten up and wait for hands you don't mind felting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If those hands happened close together, it looks as though you are trying to make small stabs at stealing pots.....in the third hand, the raiser could probably have a pretty wide range, after seeing you fold recently to ai moves.....i would make that call getting almost 2:1......but i suck
Old 11-15-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be slightly ahead in #1 against overall resteal range, but, yeah, good fold.

#2. Never mind. Don't steal light at an active table, especially UTG. You'll need a pail for the cumulative spew.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I could open shove ATo for 17xBB from CO, but that seems kind of marginal.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 PM
 is offline

Nevermind... wrong betgo post.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I could open shove ATo for 17xBB from CO, but that seems kind of marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it is, but since you have 17BB, any incremental addition of 10% or more to your stack can justify marginal shoves with the assumption of a call a % of the time. I like it better with 13-14BB, less so with 18-19BB. Note that this doesn't take into account Villain's calling ranges, it's just pure expectation. And blind accumulation matters more in 6max than it does in full ring, and you probably would rather shove and get called with a 17BB stack with reasonable equity rather than raise and get restolen on. Villain can't resteal or push you off the hand if you push in.

Because you have an A, you're rarely getting called by a better Ax. Those, will, of course, call, and so will some worse Ax's. The only pairs you really don't want to see are TT+.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 PM

I just think pushing at 3 players with 17xBB and ATo is borderline because of if the odds. It is kind of like pushing ATo at 6 players for 9xBB.

After the first resteal, I tried miniraising, because I figured it would make it more difficult to resteal, since they would have to commit for my whole stack to win a smaller pot.

The 6-max play tends to be aggressive, and it seemed like they assumed I cared about cashing and were trying to abuse a short stack close to the bubble. I think I maybe should have just limped, which risks less and gives me a limpreraise possibility. I think that might be better as it gives me the last significant raise.

I guess people know I like to miniraise and limp late in tournaments, but it seems like these are effective approaches at aggressive tables.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think pushing at 3 players with 17xBB and ATo is borderline because of if the odds. It is kind of like pushing ATo at 6 players for 9xBB.

After the first resteal, I tried miniraising, because I figured it would make it more difficult to resteal, since they would have to commit for my whole stack to win a smaller pot.

The 6-max play tends to be aggressive, and it seemed like they assumed I cared about cashing and were trying to abuse a short stack close to the bubble. I think I maybe should have just limped, which risks less and gives me a limpreraise possibility. I think that might be better as it gives me the last significant raise.

I guess people know I like to miniraise and limp late in tournaments, but it seems like these are effective approaches at aggressive tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to steal and start re-stealing.

Questions?...