Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Dancing With the Stars 5

Word is that Helio's phone line didn't work for a good 10-15 minutes last night. Since voting is only open for what 30-60 minutes? that can't be good. This Jane lady is pretty good, she fakes food poisioning one week to take out Sabrina, now she's jamming phone lines in an attempt to take out Helio, what's next taking a lead pipe to Mel's knee [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't watch on Monday's so I'm not sure how the scores were but Jane is bottom 2 this week, who joins her is a ? between Cameron, Mel, and hate to say it Helio.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Lol at the Jane comments, funny stuff. Where is your "word" from? There's reports of non-functioning phone lines every week, this year more than usual. Different parts of the country experience different difficulties, not sure what the deal is. There's less volume than AI, so it shouldn't be local exchange volume.

Scores were:
Mel 54
Jennie 53
Helio 52
Marie 52
Cam 51
Jane 50

Matchbook oddsmakers favor Jane going home, but there's tons of value if you think anyone else is going.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Nice work Darko 3 for 3! Any other suggestions? Here is a cross post taht I made in teh sports betting chatter thread:

There is a really tiny arb available for Dancing with teh Stars betting:

Males wins Bodog +145
Melanie wins Matchbook +350
Maria wins Bodog +500
Jennie wins Bodog +550

The corresponding probabilities add up to less than 1 meaning it is arbable, but I am not sure how to calculate the correct proportion to bet on each. And since the bodog bets are capped at 50$ I bet it is worth less than a dollar. But generally does anyone have a link to an arb calculator for more than two bets?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM

http://www.scalpulator.com/

Scalpulator Results:

Bet 1: $50.00 @ +145
Bet 2: $27.22 @ +350
Bet 3: $20.42 @ +500
Bet 4: $18.85 @ +550

Total Investment: $116.49

Total Return: $122.50

Total Profit: $6.01

ROI: 5.16%
Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 AM

yeah thanks, glad to help some people out. I'm pretty happy with this season so far my horse is still in at 17/2 and now he's the favorite with 5 left.

If you want to take that arb. it seems alright, 5% ROI and your money is only held for under 3 weeks isn't too bad. I used to be all about arbs, but lately I've been locking in on a pick and picking a hedge a little later. Apolo Ohno and Jordin Sparks were my last two horses, not to shabby.

The price for male on bodog seems pretty good to me. you get the favorite in Helio and Cameron. if for some reason Helio did get eliminated before the finale Cameron would be a nice darkhorse, being the only good looking man left vs. 2 females in a show where 80% of the voting is done by women. I highly doubt Helio and Cameron would be the next two eliminations leaving the bet with no one in the finale.

Should be an interesting next two weeks. I know I haven't bothered to vote yet b/c I felt like Helio would slide through for a while, but now is time to start. I'm a member of a couple sports boards so I'm going to ask everyone on them to vote for the last athlete on the show to win it. If anyone on here has bet on Helio please do the same.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Tonight's elimination odds over at Matchbook:

Will Helio be eliminated? Yes +3000, No n/a
Will Marie be eliminated? Yes +175, No n/a
Will Melanie be eliminated? Yes +700, No -980
Will Jennie be eliminated? Yes n/a, No -180

Hmmm. I don't know why I was so pent up about the producers rooting for Sabrina as I should have figured out that the producers were actually rooting for (mostly) Melanie or any other woman to win.

It's almost a politically correct final if you will.

If Melanie wins it probably cancels out Laila Ali's failings towards the end last year. If Helio wins, it probably rubs out Mario Lopez being robbed by Jerry Rice.

If Jennie or Marie somehow win, I suppose fans will get another chance to bitch like they did when it was highly disputed that Kelly Monaco robbed John O'Hurley! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

They've all been pretty good but their extra-curricular activities seem either unfortunate (Marie's personal life) or merely attention-grabbing (Jennie going to Disney World for some event/PR stunt).

...with the scores Helio and Melanie 60, Jennie 58 and Marie 56 it's almost too close to call what with the screwy voting system. Any of them could be eliminated tonight but you'd have to favour one of Jennie or Marie going...the oddsmakers taking a small risk that Jennie will be the one given the push tonight.

Has anyone been eliminated when having a perfect score!? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

OT: Well done on the Helio to be the 'last man standing' prop.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:43 AM

Just curious what would anyone else do if they were me? Basically I've already won $385 on Helio being last man and vs. bets, I've lost $20 on Sabrina thinking she'd be a good hedge for Helio, so I'm up $365.

My only open bet is Helio to win, $50 to win $425. My gut is telling me that Helio will indeed be the winner, he's peaking at the right time- a perfect 60/60 last week, he's had a good fan base from the begining, and from what I can tell he's getting alot of credit for being the only finalist who isn't an entertainer plus he's the only male to vote for and 80% of voters are women. BUT Marie's fan base is just so big, I worry it could carry her to the win.

so what to do basically?
1. Trust my gut and let it ride with Helio.
2. Hedge some with female at -135 on bodog- if so how much would be recommended?
3. Choose either Mel or Marie as the hedge, putting less at risk. will bodog put the lines back up between monday and tuesday's shows or likely not? because it would be easier to pick one over the other after seeing the scores.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 AM

One's assuming Helio's been the long-time favourite purely on the basis that he's the one who's reported to be getting the most phone votes right?

I can understand the danger and fear of Marie Osmond causing a huge upset if she's come this far than her fans must be pretty zealous...as must Melanie's fans be.

Bet365's odds ~

Outright: Helio 4/6, Melanie 6/4 and Marie 4/1

Bodog's odds ~

Outright: Helio 10/11, Melanie 3/2 and Marie 2/1

The Greek's odds ~

Outright: Helio +100, Melanie +125 and Marie +350

Matchbook's odds ~

Will Helio win? Yes n/a, No -138
Will Marie win? Yes +400, No -860
Will Melanie win? Yes n/a, No -330

=============

If I didn't know any better I think the public think Mel's been the best dancer, Helio's been the best male dancer but Marie has a helluva strong fanbase. It's an absolute pain to try and work out.

The best possible arb is over at Bet365 if you're wanting to cover both Melanie and Marie though so you might want to try that.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 AM

As an aside, it looks like the Greek has good value on Helio at +100 given the other sites all have negative odds. Does he have a >50% chance of winning?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Assuming that Helio has been the long-time fav the whole way is simply due to people's capping. He has not been reported to be getting the most phone votes. (Unless you have other info, if so, link please?)

I would guess that he is the fav at the books simply because he looked good early in the season. The books do not cap fanbases much. The volume bet on this is too small for them to care much, hence oftentimes soft lines with low limits. They mainly go by judges' scores and whether they are better/worse dancers.

So Helio and Sabrina were the favs at the start of the season, understandably. When Sabrina started pulling away scoring-wise, she became the fav, and Helio was getting longer +odds. When Sabrina was surprise-booted, Helio was the only remaining fav, so his odds got real short.

Now that Mel's been getting better and better scores, her status has improved a lot also. If there were no prior history, the books would probably have Mel a very slight fav to Helio, and Marie a total dog.

That being said, I favor Helio to win but am wary of Marie's fanbase. If there were a 2-way finale between them, Helio would win. As is, with a 3-way finale, Marie's fanbase may still be strong enough, with other voters split between the two best dancers. Bets on Helio at +odds and Marie at long +odds are still decent imo.

Darko, your question is a basic issue of hedging and how much the money means to you/your bankroll. If it's not big deal, and you simply want EV, then just let it ride or hedge with Marie at long +odds. If you would be upset at losing the $50 on Helio, then hedge with the Bodog female at -130, although this is -EV imo. And at current odds, betting separately on Marie and Mel as a combined hedge sucks.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd make a small wager on Marie so that you win money whether Helio or Marie wins, regardless. At the amounts you listed, you can make it so that you have bet $145 total to win $330 equally whether Helio or Marie wins, or you can bet less so that you win more on Helio and less on Marie. It simply depends on how high you think Marie's chances of winning are, and also if you are willing to risk more money, even though Mel has a shot at winning and whether you are concerned about that. For me, I will win decent money whether either Helio or Marie wins, and will lose if Mel wins.