Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Having trouble with broadway cards pf

hi,

Looking over my Pt stats by far my biggest losses are AQ/AJ/A10/KQ/KJ/K10/JQ suited and offsuit...

Im not sure how to play these pre flop. I play $25NL full ring at party.

What positions should I be raising/calling/folding these? no matter what position i'll always call for a single bet, and sometimes ill call a raise. Then when the flop comes and i hit TPGK ill go with it and quite often lose to a better kicker.

thanks!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Having trouble with broadway cards pf

in EP, i'm throwing away anything below AJs unless its an exceptionally passive table. Calling raises with most of those hands is fairly disastrous too, as a lot of the times you are dominated (which you seem to have learned the hard way)
Old 07-03-2006, 03:31 PM

Just to point out the obvious, if you are losing money with these (or any!) hands, how you play them postflop is WAAAAAY more important than how you play them preflop. Preflop mistakes are small compared to postflop mistakes.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:33 PM

These are hands that need to become really easy for you to getaway from if you are going to be successful at NL holdem. If the flop comes k 6 3 and you have kj and are getting action you have to ask yourself "What can I beat?" You can obviously beat a bluff but if he does have a king he's going to outkick you 100% of the time and if that's not even mentioning the the times he has a set of threes or sixes or even AA. Anyway I think you need to start folding more preflop and stick with just the suited broadways and never call a raise with them. And if you are getting action with one of these hands just fold. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM

yeah, you really got to hit the flop hard to win any good pots with these hands...

or if you make a pair when no one else does you'll take down a lot of small pots

so, if the betting gets big you usually gotta fold if you don't improve past 1 pair.

i don't believe in having a set preflop strategy - so i can't help you there, except to say that you shouldn't be playing all of these hands all of the time.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to point out the obvious, if you are losing money with these (or any!) hands, how you play them postflop is WAAAAAY more important than how you play them preflop. Preflop mistakes are small compared to postflop mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true... but i thought if i can sort out my preflop decisions i'll get myself into less tricky, and potentially expensive situations post flop... i'll look through some of the hands and ask for post-flop advice on them another time.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he does have a king he's going to outkick you 100% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy hyperbole, Batman!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM

thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

ok, so i know i should fold this now, and my pre flop raise is a bit on the pathetic side... but is my post flop play alright here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($12.23)
MP3 ($25.85)
CO ($24.65)
Button ($34.51)
SB ($39)
BB ($24.40)
UTG ($6.35)
UTG+1 ($26)
Hero ($26.30)
MP1 ($2.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, UTG folds.

Turn: ($6.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls $6.

River: ($18.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB calls $30.25 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $48.75
Old 07-03-2006, 04:06 PM

Standard.

Tips:
1. Raise your good broadways (AK from EP, AQ/AJs+ from MP)
2. Frequently raise most broadways from LP.
3. Try not to limp/call bad broadways OOP.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:26 PM

Because they are subject to domination, these hands are inherently difficult to play, unless you play very well postflop most of these offsuit holdings (with the exeption of aq and posibly kq/Aj) should be automucks unless in lp. If you do decided to play these 9suited or not) you need to be cautious. I advocate limping with any of these when suited not because the posibility of making a flush improves them much, but because they let me semi-bluff fl draws, In addition to semi-bluffing st8 draws and occasionaly betting them for value with 1 pair.

in lp u can play these hands more liberaly, but remember ur looking to flop a good draw or 2 pair dont get too exited with tpgk (especialy if someoen raised)