Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Default (PS 100NL FR) JJ Multiway Pot

Reads: MP1 is loose-passive preflop and weak-tight postflop. 51/1/3 (aggression factor seems misleading on him.)
MP2 is very loose pre-flop, and only min-raises preflop. if he is re-raised, he likes to move all-in. He did this several times and nobody called him. He would also do this post-flop on occasion if someone leads with a smallish bet and there are a couple callers. 46/8/.64
No real reads on BB. After playing more hands with him after this, he seemed solid. 21/12/2 (though this was one of his first hands at the table, no i had no real numbers)

Pre-flop, my thinking was that MP2 was trying his all-in re-raise trick, and i figure his range was broad enough that i'd be a favorite. I re-raised small enough so that A) he may think my hand isn't too strong), and B) so a couple other people would call and throw some dead money into the pot. I was planning on pushing overtop when he pushed, to fold everyone else out. that was my pre-flop logic. Is it terribly flawed?

On the flop, I think i did alright. I figure MP1 and MP2 are looking to get out of the hand, and i thought $14 was good enough to charge for a flush draw. I have a nagging suspicion i should've bet more like $18-20 here, however.

On the turn, i'm lost, as i usually am in these situations. I like potting the turn here normally, except that essentially puts BB all-in. This would seem to fold out any worse hands (except ATx or a FD-TPTK combo). Of course, maybe that's what i should be looking to do here. Betting in the $35 range seems a bit too small to me, and forces him to call the river anyhow based on what he'd have left. Anything lower than that is probably ridiculous. In short, I'm lost here. help fix my turn problems, please.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($34)
Button ($124.60)
SB ($104.95)
BB ($88.70)
UTG ($83)
UTG+1 ($30.70)
MP1 ($84.20)
MP2 ($54.50)
Hero ($104.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $5, MP1 calls $5, MP2 calls $4.

Flop: ($24.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, BB calls $14, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($52.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>
Old 07-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (PS 100NL FR) JJ Multiway Pot

I usually play at lower stakes (10NL) so my comment on this might be off the mark...
Having no reads from the BB he could have anything. I would put him on a flush draw but he basically could have anything. My playing style is rather carefully so in this case I'd probably check - in particular if you don't have reads
Old 07-02-2006, 05:51 PM

i don't think checking can be right. if he is on a flush draw, giving him a free card is bad idea (it allows him to draw out for free). if he hit a set, i can't see him cold calling the flop and then checking the turn (since he risks giving me a free card if i'm on some sort of draw), so i think a set (or anything stronger than a pair) isn't too likely. So it looks like i'm ahead here enough times that betting seems to be the right play. How much to bet is where i start to fall apart though.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 PM

I think BB has some kind of pair, although it is possible he is drawing to a flush, but to call a raise and a reraise with some kind of drawing hand preflop seems a little week.

If you bet on the turn any significant amount he may reraise you with a missed draw, a straight, or a set. Can you afford to fold this monster pot?

I'd rather keep the pot moderate size, check behind and call almost any bet on a non-scary river. With this type of line I think you make the most from lesser hands and lose the least to better.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 AM

any other advice, anyone?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 AM

I play 6max, but I'd probably fire ~30-40 on that turn and check behind a non J river.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet on the turn any significant amount he may reraise you with a missed draw, a straight, or a set. Can you afford to fold this monster pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've already ruled out the possibility of a set or straight. He's not going to check the turn and risk losing to the FD on the river. I agree with bnorthro, a blocking bet of around 40 should get a check on the river. At this point, I'd put him on AT or maybe 88. I think you're ahead 9 times out of 10.