Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Pot Odds Baby!!!

Yeah, I fold this also. One of the best improvements I have made to my game to date is not ALWAYS calling preflop for pot odds alone. When it is a significant portion of your stack, and you miss, it hurts your playability and even FE you will have in the later stages of the tournament.

Here, you have significant odds, but only about 21 bb stack. You would need to hit this flop pretty hard to justify the call (because of your stack size, implied odss are negligible). Top pair or OESD would not be justification enough for me to make this call. 2 pair + would be my only reason for playing this for the pot odds (or maybe some kind of combo draw). You are only 2% (49/1) to flop 2 pair. So if you are playing for 2 pair or better, you do not have odds to call preflop.

You will more than likely run across a lot better opportunities to be first in and accumulate chips down the line, especially since your stack is not in desperation yet.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 AM

Excuse this somewhat silly question but I have searched the FAQ and other threads and can not find a link/reference to the tool that does the above hand-analysis. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay wow.

I'm retarded all over the place today.

Didn't realize this was for 1/4 of our stack, I seriously thought Hero had an extra 0 in his stack size. LOOOOL.

Yeah, betgo is actually right about folding here for once. : |

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give a [censored] about pot odds in a multiway pot. If the money was deep, it wouldn't change much. JTo is a hand that I would play only in special circumstances, generally as the aggressor.

This "pot odds" and "Gigabet dilemma" have become standard excuses for loose fishy play.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Please excuse the repost but by the time I previously posted, 4 others had beaten me to it and I was buried:

I apologize in advance for this somewhat silly question but I have searched the FAQ and other threads and can not find a link/reference to the tool that does the above hand-analysis. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Pokerstove. Google it. It's good stuff.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay wow.

Didn't realize this was for 1/4 of our stack, I seriously thought Hero had an extra 0 in his stack size. LOOOOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give a [censored] about pot odds in a multiway pot. If the money was deep, it wouldn't change much. JTo is a hand that I would play only in special circumstances, generally as the aggressor.

This "pot odds" and "Gigabet dilemma" have become standard excuses for loose fishy play.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point about it being a call with a deeper stack has nothing to do with pot odds. Calling what is a 5xbb raise with JT when you hypothetically have 200xbb isn't "loose fishy play", it's just "play."
Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point about it being a call with a deeper stack has nothing to do with pot odds. Calling what is a 5xbb raise with JT when you hypothetically have 200xbb isn't "loose fishy play", it's just "play."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a calling station play with deep money too. Here the raiser is allin, so how are you going to outplay anyone. I play live NL cash games and plenty of people call 5xBB raises with JTo with deep money. I don't and I don't think I lose anything that way.

Some strong LAGs will make lose calls of raises early in tournaments with deep money and bad players. They are hoping fish will pay off if they hit and they can steal the pot if they miss. The fact that a strong player made that call does not mean it is generally a good play. You may not be able to outplay people the way he can.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:39 AM

Something you 2 seem to be missing from your discussion is that one player is ALLIN. It really doesn't do so much good to "outplay" your opponents in a dry side pot, no matter how deep your stack is.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:39 AM

Oh man, I am getting sonned all over the place.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the answers so far. Did anybody notice SB's stack? What does that tell us?

Results later....