Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Are the $3r turbo satellites a good bankroll builder?

Hi guys

In 2 weeks I'm going to be back playing on stars after a littlebreak and am wanting to build up a very respectable bankroll for myself. I had $700 for my first deposit but won a tourney on Ladbrokes the other day and I now have $1550. This will be my bankroll but I am hoping to build this up into, say, $4000 over time.

When I had the $700 I thought about grinding out the 4/180's over a period of time but have since given this further thought. I really fancy trying to play the $3r sattellites to the Sunday Million etc and cashing out for $215 at a time. I've qualified for a few of these before and they seem like a way to build the bankroll.

If I give myself 2xdouble rebuys and add-on => $15 per tourney. I won't use this full amount each time so over time my average buy in may be $14. This would mean I would need a 1-in-15 qualifying rate to break even The rest is profit. These seem to be going all the time.

I was just wondering how easy these are to cash from regularly and if anyones tried this?

Any advice. Is this the BR building opportunity I seem to have convinced myself of?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Are the $3r turbo satellites a good bankroll builder?

I play tons of turbo rebuy sats. They're fairly good if you have a sound understanding of ITM late game strat and push call ranges.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play tons of turbo rebuy sats. They're fairly good if you have a sound understanding of ITM late game strat and push call ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I improve this? Are there places/websites for me to look?

Is qualifying more with an average > 1-in-15 viable if I allow myself a $15 budget?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM

The $3r sats suck imo. There are much better/more reliable sats to play than those.

Are you aware that you only get tournament dollars for unregistering if you place in a satellite?

I think the 4/180's and >$5 tourneys are your best way to build a br. But if you are looking for a sat, the $11.80 DS to the sun mil are very good. Your first table is usually only 4-6 people, and if you make it to the ft, pretty much everyone gets paid, or at least their money back.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The $3r sats suck imo. There are much better/more reliable sats to play than those.

Are you aware that you only get tournament dollars for unregistering if you place in a satellite?

I think the 4/180's and >$5 tourneys are your best way to build a br. But if you are looking for a sat, the $11.80 DS to the sun mil are very good. Your first table is usually only 4-6 people, and if you make it to the ft, pretty much everyone gets paid, or at least their money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm fine with T$ as I can get 99.5% value for them in cash. I can only really play between 2pm and 8pm ET as I live in the UK.

I've had some success with these $3r tourneys and didn't realise I would only have to qualify 1-in-15 to break even. I just cannot see the 4/180's being able to compete with this especially when you consider the time taken to complete the 4/180 against the 1 1/2 hours for the sattellite.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:50 PM

$3r turbos to what?

If you are talking about the ones to the Sunday million or to the sunday warm-up, I think they blow. They don't payoff a large enough percentage for me.

I like the $5r turbo to the $55. After the rebuy period, like 1/3-1/2 of the remaining field wins a seat.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$3r turbos to what?

If you are talking about the ones to the Sunday million or to the sunday warm-up, I think they blow. They don't payoff a large enough percentage for me.

I like the $5r turbo to the $55. After the rebuy period, like 1/3-1/2 of the remaining field wins a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats the ones I'm talking about. I'm looking at the $3r to the Million & Warm-Up because they only need a 1-in-15 qualify rate.

If you double stack and add-on on the $5 (that's $15) and you need to qualify 1-in-3.5 attmpts to make make money.

Surely this is easier in the $3r?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$3r turbos to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats the ones I'm talking about. I'm looking at the $3r to the Million & Warm-Up because they only need a 1-in-15 qualify rate.

If you double stack and add-on on the $5 (that's $15) and you need to qualify 1-in-3.5 attmpts to make make money.

Surely this is easier in the $3r?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you have to make it 1-in-3.5, but I just told you, about 1/3-1/2 of the field remaining after the rebuy period qualifies! Even if you were just flat out terrible (i.e. no better than chance alone) you'd at least break even in them!

Edit: BTW, if you have to make 1 in 15 to break even in the million/warm-up sats, what is the seat-to-player ratio after the rebuy period?

Sherman
Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 PM

In the meantime, I remembered the other reason why I don't like the 3r turbo sats (and it is related to the others).

They don't pay enough players in general. That is, if the 3r sats regularly had 1000 runners, I would play them all day. There is sure to be tons of seats (100 maybe?). The fact is, sats that pay more seats are >>>>>>>> profitable than sats that pay only 1 or a few seats (i.e. less than 18).

The 3r sats don't pay that many seats on average. Thus, the quality of play at the end is better (people get real conservative, the players remaining are better, etc.). In sats that pay many seats, your EV goes way up b/c lots of bad players are left and lots of players play improperly with regards to Adanthar's strat. advice.

The $5r to the $55 pays 30-50 seats on average. That is a huge number of seats and that means it is relatively easy to find yourself folding into a seat.

Sherman
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, I remembered the other reason why I don't like the 3r turbo sats (and it is related to the others).

They don't pay enough players in general. That is, if the 3r sats regularly had 1000 runners, I would play them all day. There is sure to be tons of seats (100 maybe?). The fact is, sats that pay more seats are >>>>>>>> profitable than sats that pay only 1 or a few seats (i.e. less than 18).

The 3r sats don't pay that many seats on average. Thus, the quality of play at the end is better (people get real conservative, the players remaining are better, etc.). In sats that pay many seats, your EV goes way up b/c lots of bad players are left and lots of players play improperly with regards to Adanthar's strat. advice.

The $5r to the $55 pays 30-50 seats on average. That is a huge number of seats and that means it is relatively easy to find yourself folding into a seat.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for this advice. As I have a couple of weeks left before I start back on Stars I'm going to be looking closely at the stats in these tourneys. Those sats to the $55 tourneys also look appealing.

Is there anywhere I can be looking (apart from Adanthars strat thread) to help improve my understanding of what is needed in these tourneys?

How much do you allow yourself to spend in these sats to the $55?