Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Default NC Game Picture

I didn't see any thread discussing this. It seems the current standings are.

1. LSU
2. A Big 12 Team
3. WVU
4. OSU

Does anyone think it's possible for a 2-loss LSU team to still get in? Or for 2 1-loss Big 12 teams to get in?

The thing I'm most curious about is if LSU could lose again and still get in ahead of OSU or WVU. I'm also curious who you guys think has the edge out of OSU or WVU. It seems that it would be WVU, but who knows?

Additionally, if LSU loses, I think Kansas has a great argument for getting in ahead of WVU or OSU if they're 12-1 with their only loss being to then #1 Oklahoma (especially if it's very close). I seriously doubt the pollsters agree with me though.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: NC Game Picture

I think OSU has a significantly better case than WVU if it's down to them. I'm biased of course but a 2-loss Pac 10 team should make it over WVU. Actually, I think a two-loss Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU should get in over WVU as well.

Also, a pretty realistic scenario that would see no Big 12 team in is Missouri beating Kansas this week, Oklahoma losing at Texas Tech and winning the Big 12 title game. Not the most likely parlay but certainly possible.

The problem with your scenario with Kansas is that they would have just lost. It's very similar to Michigan last year. I think they would have a strong case over 1-loss WVU but not Ohio State.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:51 PM

The only way for there to be 2 1 loss Big 12 teams would be if Kansas beats Mizzou next weekend and then loses to OU in the Big XII Champ game. I do not think the voters would want to see a rematch of that same game again in Jan and would vote someone else as #2.

That is where tOSU and WV come into play again (if LSU loses again). Mizzou will be back down a bit also (under the scenario they lose to Kansas)

WV still has Cincy, Uconn and Pitt. Not the easiest of the Big East. If WV gets through that then yes I think they would have the edge over Ohio State.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see any thread discussing this. It seems the current standings are.

1. LSU
2. A Big 12 Team
3. WVU
4. OSU

Does anyone think it's possible for a 2-loss LSU team to still get in? Or for 2 1-loss Big 12 teams to get in?

The thing I'm most curious about is if LSU could lose again and still get in ahead of OSU or WVU. I'm also curious who you guys think has the edge out of OSU or WVU. It seems that it would be WVU, but who knows?

Additionally, if LSU loses, I think Kansas has a great argument for getting in ahead of WVU or OSU if they're 12-1 with their only loss being to then #1 Oklahoma (especially if it's very close). I seriously doubt the pollsters agree with me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No and no. If LSU loses in the SEC Championship game, this is the order:

1. Big XII champ (obv)
2. West Virginia
3. Ohio State (could jump WVU if they blow out Michigan)
4. Arizona State (could jump OSU or WVU if they blow out USC)
5. Georgia (only if they go 11-2 and win the SEC, if they don't win their division, they have no shot)
6. USC
7. Oregon (if Dixon gets healthy)

It's not until you go through all those teams that a 2-loss LSU or a second-place Big XII team gets serious consideration.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 PM

I know late losses incur tons of extra penalty, but people seem to have a huge crush on LSU. I don't think there's any way you can put them behind USC or Oregon.