Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Smart Baby. Smarter Parents?

I didn't realize babies could be this sophisticated in their efforts to get attention.

Baby wants attention

How many times do you think they went through this routine before the camera started recording?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Smart Baby. Smarter Parents?

i remember seeing that on tv the first time, hilarious that the kid was that persistent.

they probably lol'd at this themselves for weeks before filming
Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 PM

hes gonna play soccer one day
Old 07-07-2007, 05:05 PM

I'll never understand why people think that the best way to deal with a child who wants some attention is to ignore him. I see this in the grocery store all the time.

That was one of the saddest videos I've ever seen. It boggles my mind that anyone would laugh at something like that.

Anybody remember the "Eunice" skits on the old "Carol Burnett Show"? I was about five years old when they first aired. I used to be shocked that anyone laughed a single time. Eunice was obviously a tortured character. I could see that when I was FIVE. The dialogue always struck me as tragic, not funny.

Here's a sample Eunice clip. Imagine me watching in horror, as my family sat around me, laughing at it. If you can imagine that, you can imagine my reaction to the OP's link.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:37 PM

pick the kid up ffs
Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 PM

I didnt exactly see this as a "funny" video. Its just impressive how children in this age already understand how their actions can have consequences. (falling down => mama comes)

It would be unfair to say these parents are bad for filming this. We dont know how many times they actually went there, picked it up and spent the next 2 hours with it.

Also, eventhough NOT picking it up is kinda [censored] up, its not right either to make it believe it can command their parents at will. This may have worse consequences than ignoring it.

After all, this child feels it isnt getting enough attention. Questions should be asked WHY it feels that way and act / change accordingly.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:48 PM

That skit was hilarious! Thanks for posting.

You're making too big of a deal out of it. Kids aren't that emotionally fragile. I'm sure the parents (in OP's clip), didn't ignore the kid that way all the time. If they did, I agree it would be pretty pathetic and neglectful. But you also have to show kids they don't always get what they want by throwing tantrums.

The Eunice clip reminds me of when I was a little kid and we had a dog that was viscious to non-family members. One day it bit a visiting relative. My parents told me they were taking the dog to a "farm" where it would be happier. It wasn't until years later that it dawned on me that there was no "farm"! They lied to me and put the dog down. I was upset about being lied to, but I got over it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 PM

must have had a craptacular childhood.

I agree with you in general, but this wasn't just "wanting attention" Like poker, we don't know the preflop (pre-start of recording) action, so there is no context to why they are doing what they are doing, we don't know why the kid is clearly faking and doing it ONLY when the parents are in view.

If you can't laugh at this, well, this isn't pyschologyforum.com.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 PM

how is it possible to not love dogs? I know that isn't the point of this video...but it still comes across loud and clear.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll never understand why people think that the best way to deal with a child who wants some attention is to ignore him. I see this in the grocery store all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the key point here is that the method that the child uses to get attention isn't appropriate.