Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 08:34 PM

Default File share issues. (includes lesbian penguin)

I'm good with computers damnit! But this one is killing me.

All of a sudden I'm unable to view my windows file shares. Not even from the computer that is sharing the goddamn folders. All I get is an error message that doesn't make any sense at all.
Since I'm running a swedish version of windows (XP) I can't give you the exact wording of the message in english, but only my own translation.

[ QUOTE ]

\\Shining\dc is not available. Maybe you are not authorized to use this resource. Ask the server administrator for help.
There is not enough available space on the server to perform this action.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have uninstalled and reinstalled File & Printer sharing to no avail. I have around 40Gb of free space on the hard drive so that is definitely not the problem.
I have disabled anti-virus and firewall and it still doesn't work. I have made sure that NetBios over tcp/ip is on. The permissions on the shared folder is correct with read access for everyone.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be wrong?

lesbian penguin as promised
Old 06-11-2006, 01:59 AM

Default Re: File share issues. (includes lesbian penguin)

One question: is the Swedish version of XP you are running XP "Home" or "Professional"?

Am I understanding correctly that even the user account that created the folders (on the computer sharing the files) can no longer view them?

When I have experienced a similar error message in the past, it was because the user account I was trying to access the folders from was not password protected. If a user account is not password protected, XP thinks of it as "not having the authority" to do certain things, even though it should be able to. If you are not keen on typing in passwords to log on to Windows every time you boot, use the autologon feature in TweakUI.

Without knowing more info, my guess would be that the account(s) you are trying to access the folders from are not password protected.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:21 AM

geeez, dont ask me. im just here for the lesbian penguin
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One question: is the Swedish version of XP you are running XP "Home" or "Professional"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Professional. And I have turned off the "Simple file sharing" option.

[ QUOTE ]

Am I understanding correctly that even the user account that created the folders (on the computer sharing the files) can no longer view them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.

[ QUOTE ]

When I have experienced a similar error message in the past, it was because the user account I was trying to access the folders from was not password protected. If a user account is not password protected, XP thinks of it as "not having the authority" to do certain things, even though it should be able to. If you are not keen on typing in passwords to log on to Windows every time you boot, use the autologon feature in TweakUI.

Without knowing more info, my guess would be that the account(s) you are trying to access the folders from are not password protected.

[/ QUOTE ]
The account is password protected.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 PM

Hmmm.... that is odd. Sounds like you're doing everything by the book. Let's start from square one - I know you probably did everything correctly the first time around, but use this guide as a checklist, and try resetting the shares from scratch.

We know it's not a network problem because the shared machine can't access the files either (you were right to check your NetBIOS and firewall settings otherwise). I don't think I've ever seen the establishing user account not be able to access the shares - I'm thinking something must have gone wrong in the process. Really out of the ordinary. Let me know how the reset goes, and we can go from there.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm.... that is odd. Sounds like you're doing everything by the book. Let's start from square one - I know you probably did everything correctly the first time around, but use this guide as a checklist, and try resetting the shares from scratch.

We know it's not a network problem because the shared machine can't access the files either (you were right to check your NetBIOS and firewall settings otherwise). I don't think I've ever seen the establishing user account not be able to access the shares - I'm thinking something must have gone wrong in the process. Really out of the ordinary. Let me know how the reset goes, and we can go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, I'll go through that one.
In the meantime, here is another oddity. This is what my network connections look like:

I have two other XP computers and that gateway connection is not there on any of those. Disabling it makes the network stop working. I shouldn't be needing it, right? I'm not using internet connection sharing on this computer. But I have no idea where it came from or how to remove it.

Oh well, I better get started with that file sharing article. Perhaps the solution is in there.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No dice [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I went through it all, and all settings were already correct. There was only one master browser on my network. I reset the tcp/ip-stack to no avail.
The guide left me at this point: "Finally, if all else fails, then, what the heck, do an XP reinstall."

[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]!

I really really REALLY don't want to reinstall. It SHOULDN'T be necessary damnit!

Any other ideas?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM

I'm going to PM you a screenshot of my Network Connections screen so you can compare notes. I wrote some notes on the screenshot for you to consider. Like I said there, I think you still have Internet connection sharing enabled or there is some remnant of it lurking around.

Try entering "ipconfig/all" into the command prompt and see what IP address your computer has. Is it 192.168.0.1? This is the standard address of a computer with internet connection sharing enabled. If you do have this address... I wonder how you are still connecting to the Internet via your router? (unless it just happened to be on the same network AND it didn't have the IP address of 192.168.0.1.

If you could copy the info from the ipconfig/all and post it here (minus the MAC addresses and any public IPs), that would be great.

Take a look at this article about Windows Internet connection sharing . Looks familiar, doesn't it?

I'm wondering what would happen if you were to, say, right click the Internet gateway and delete it? If you don't know why it's there, I don't see why it should be or how it could be critical to anything you are doing. If anything, it will only cause problems if it's not meant to be there.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to PM you a screenshot of my Network Connections screen so you can compare notes. I wrote some notes on the screenshot for you to consider. Like I said there, I think you still have Internet connection sharing enabled or there is some remnant of it lurking around.

Try entering "ipconfig/all" into the command prompt and see what IP address your computer has. Is it 192.168.0.1? This is the standard address of a computer with internet connection sharing enabled. If you do have this address... I wonder how you are still connecting to the Internet via your router? (unless it just happened to be on the same network AND it didn't have the IP address of 192.168.0.1.

If you could copy the info from the ipconfig/all and post it here (minus the MAC addresses and any public IPs), that would be great.

Take a look at this article about Windows Internet connection sharing . Looks familiar, doesn't it?

I'm wondering what would happen if you were to, say, right click the Internet gateway and delete it? If you don't know why it's there, I don't see why it should be or how it could be critical to anything you are doing. If anything, it will only cause problems if it's not meant to be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that when I turned on my computer today, the Internet Gateway was gone. It must have disappeared when I reset the tcp/ip-stack I guess. And it definitely connected to internet through that gateway before, because the network stopped working when I disabled it.

The problems remains though.

ipconfig /all shows this:
[ QUOTE ]
IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : shining
Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :
Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : No
WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : No

Ethernet-kort nForce Ethernet:

Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . :
Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : *************
DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Yes
IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 12 juni 2006 17:19:27
Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 19 januari 2038 05:14:07

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked how this info looked on one of my other computers on which file sharing works fine, and noticed that the Nodetype was different. On the one that works it says:
"Nodtyp: Broadcast" and on the one that doesn't work it says "Nodtyp: Unknown".
Perhaps this could lead us to the problem.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I checked how this info looked on one of my other computers on which file sharing works fine, and noticed that the Nodetype was different. On the one that works it says:
"Nodtyp: Broadcast" and on the one that doesn't work it says "Nodtyp: Unknown".
Perhaps this could lead us to the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found out how to force the NodeType to Broadcast here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053/
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q160177
http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...hread.php?t=32

The shares are still having the same problem though.
Another odd thing is that the printer share works fine. I can access and use the printer from the other computer. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm going insane!!