Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Default What to do in these spots?

This guy is aggressive. I just got Poker Tracker set up and I added flop aggression because I think it's particularly useful. So, this guy is a 30/15/3 guy with a flop aggression of 4.

It's folded to me and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button.
SB folds.
Overaggressive guy calls.

The flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.5SB)

He checks.
I feel like I'm getting check raised 100% of the time here since most of his range connects with this board in one way or another.
So, should I bet expecting to get raised, and then call with reverse implied odds, knowing that I'm ahead a lot of the time here?
If the turn comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] am I done with the hand?

The main questions I have are:

a) When there are multiple draws on board in the mid range (6-J) and you have an aggressive player calling pre-flop, what should your flop plan be when you have a hand with showdown value (say A high or a bottom pair?)
b) When one of the draws comes in, but the other misses, do you still call down?

I am assuming that the guy is aggressive enough to keep betting on the turn and probably the river, even if he misses.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: What to do in these spots?

does ace high really have that much SD value against a guy like this?

IF you DO plan on showing this down against this type of player, which may not be a bad idea depending on the texture of the board, i feel like a check behind on the flop will save you from calling a cr (1 BB). then if he bets the turn and you call, he may feel you've cought somethin and check to you on the river(another BB). this way you save between 1-2 BB's. then on the times YOU catch, pound the bitch.

but on a draw heavy board, if he CR's your flop bet, he could quite possibly either have already hit something or have more outs on his draw than you do for your ace high.

If you have bottom pair id probably call him down, again depending on the board.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't care who the player is here (to an extent). I think we can pick better boards to SD A-hi. If villian is sitting there with Ax/Kx he is thinking the same thing you are (crap that flop sucks). Bet, getting 4.5:1, if he raises just fold (this time). Even when we are ahead and villian raises he is going to have 10 outs minimum most of the time. When we're behind we have like 2.

If I held a hand that had a more resonable chance to improve then I will consider checking behind but not often and only against the more aggresive types and when I need to make it to SD.

Also if you're checking behind with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on this board then we need to be checking behind with JJ on a J94r board and C/R those turns obviously
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM

i think this is one of those spots where you can argue calling on the button, then betting 100 percent of the time when he check the flop, and raising occasionally when he bets into you on certain flops maybe 25 percent of the time and folding 75 percent of the time. But with only investing one half of a big bet he will check more flops then he bets which will produce an immediately profitable steal situation for you
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM

i just bet/fold the flop like it's my job.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 PM

I just B/F the flop. You're not getting C/R'd 100%. Sometimes it feels that way when I have A4, but I refuse to believe I'm getting pure-bluffed since they never C/R when I have AJ (maybe I'm just unlucky). Plus lots of people donk when they have a draw there.

I don't see how checking behind & calling down the big streets doesn't get you value-pwned nearly every time. If he tries to win every pot that badly it shouldn't be that hard to figure him out soon enough.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 AM

I may be way off here, but theese are my toughts.
You feel you are getting checkraised 100% of the time because most of hes range connects with the flop. But how does he feel about you? Could you easily be stealing with 78c? What really is Villains range in BB from a steal? How about: Ax? Kxs, Qxs, K7+, Q8+, any PP, connectors 56o+, suited 2 and 3-gaps? Does this range seem reasonable? A ton of theese hands missed the flop.

When somone has a high agression factor he usually raises or folds. So he could be giving up this flop if he missed completely. I always bet this, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me. If I get raised, and I can assume that hes checkraise is at least a scemibluff, I'll fold.

One stat that I recently added is "fold BB to steal". Really helps when putting blind defenders on a range. And of course alows me to steal more from players that fold too much.

[ QUOTE ]
b) When one of the draws comes in, but the other misses, do you still call down?

[/ QUOTE ]
If my battle plan is to call down, I usually do.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
me too, It's the best way to realize your equity here. You are ahead often enough to show a profit on your 1 sb investment.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

OP you said yourself how you are in reverse implied odds hell here even if you do hit an ace. Bet/fold and move on.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is one of those spots where you can argue calling on the button, then betting 100 percent of the time when he check the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

why this? villain ist rather tight. just steal preflop and dont get to a place there he is super likely to c/r with any sort of hand.

Villain has a post flop aggression of 3 (and overall tight stats): if you call perflop and he dont bets the flop he just just like 72red but he will bet any pair, most hands with just one high card or any peace of draw.

calling preflop is way wrong imo.