Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Apply for the Dream Job

http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/20...or_dave_s.html

For those interested in business or investing, this position is a job unlike any other in finance. In contrast to many more narrowly defined positions on Wall Street, Financial Analysts in the Investments Office gain exposure to a wide variety of asset classes and interact with the world's best money managers. Analysts have the opportunity to work closely with Chief Investment Officer David Swensen and Senior Director Dean Takahashi. With a staff of twenty professionals, the Investments Office manages Yale's $22 billion Endowment, employing a broadly diversified portfolio of U.S. stocks, U.S. bonds, foreign stocks, real estate, leveraged buyouts, venture capital, and alternative investment strategies.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Apply for the Dream Job

Im reading swenson's Pioneering portfolio management right now and its very good.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/20...or_dave_s.html

For those interested in business or investing, this position is a job unlike any other in finance. In contrast to many more narrowly defined positions on Wall Street, Financial Analysts in the Investments Office gain exposure to a wide variety of asset classes and interact with the world's best money managers. Analysts have the opportunity to work closely with Chief Investment Officer David Swensen and Senior Director Dean Takahashi. With a staff of twenty professionals, the Investments Office manages Yale's $22 billion Endowment, employing a broadly diversified portfolio of U.S. stocks, U.S. bonds, foreign stocks, real estate, leveraged buyouts, venture capital, and alternative investment strategies.

[/ QUOTE ]
says it is for yale students only and requires their transcript etc.

thats a job i'd love and think i'd be great at.

Barron
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 AM

I feel bad for anyone who considers being a financial analyst a dream job [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel bad for anyone who considers being a financial analyst a dream job [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've come to the wrong forum then. many would feel bad for an aspiring poker player getting the "dream job" of learning from phil ivey or barry greenstein.

specialization and advances in division of labor, diversified skill sets, and freedom of choice/opinion/speech allow for your thoughts.

i mean seriously, thank you for sharing your pity with the rest of us. i'm sure we're all better off after reading that somebody feels bad for the opportunity of an individual in an industry to lean most of the basics and some advanced concepts from one of the very best in that industry.

i'm curious, are you a doctor or psychologist? what do you do? or what do you consider a dream job?

and more pertinantly, why the f*ck did you feel the need to post your thoughts about feeling bad for anybody who considers being a financial (though in this case it is an investment) analyst a dream job in the business, finance and investing forum.

sorry for the rant, but your post just hit my "annoyed at that sh*t" bone the wrong way.

Barron
Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM

I think the point was that any job where you are working directly for someone else(especially in the type of relationship financial analysts usually work) cannot be a dream job. This is obviously not true for a lot of people who prefer following others and want to make a career of it. Yet other people would prefer making orders of magnitude less guaranteed money as long as they can avoid dealing with chains of command for more than half of their day.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Who says you would make a career out of working for this guy? You would learn from his great mind, then apply these lessons either for the present employer, a future employer, or by working for yourself.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM

an assistant to steven cohen, paul tudor jones or louis bacon would be a dream job.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Any job that allows me to speak with Warren Buffett is a dream job to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
an assistant to steven cohen, paul tudor jones or louis bacon would be a dream job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a job for which you would basically need to be of cohen / tudor's talent+knowledge calibre(and much higher if adjusted for age), otherwise you would be wasting their time. If you are at that level, it is almost certain that their network of referrals will find YOU. Cohen & Tudor probably dream of finding younger generation clones of themselves, but everyone else is basically inferior garbage.