Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: My doctor hates me (ulcerative colitis)

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the worst case scenario is that you are one of the people who have symptoms from gm foods. it's so new no one would have any clue what is going on, and gm foodstuff is in almost all 'normal' US foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I mentioned before, I've tested positive for UC markers, so that suggests an internal cause.

So...no one knows anyone with any sort of intestinal/bowel disorders? Going once...going twice...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 AM

Ive never been happier that Asacol worked like a charm on my ulcerative colitis..
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM

YES! Someone else feels my pain!

I was on Asacol. My doctor decided to switch me to Colazal, which I understand is the same drug, just in bigger pills.

Brag: I'm not taking enemas after all. My doctor gave me Cortifoam instead. It still goes up the butt (Bob), but I only have to lie on my side for a few minutes instead of a half-hour.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Im glad I never had to do that stuff. I think my UC was listed as like low to moderate, so never had to go the steroid or other paths..

Luckily after screwing around for a while diagnosing it (went through like a year of them thinking it was acid reflux and something else), I was able to find the right amount of drugs to keep everything in check. Granted had a couple of little flare ups while they where trying out different drugs and amounts. But nothing to bad..
Old 08-02-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive never been happier that Asacol worked like a charm on my ulcerative colitis..

[/ QUOTE ]

for that [censored] to work you must have have a mild case. I have cut way back on it (I was 4 X 3 a day). I am barely even taking it anymore and I seem to be alright. The whole thing sucks though.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for that [censored] to work you must have have a mild case. I have cut way back on it (I was 4 X 3 a day). I am barely even taking it anymore and I seem to be alright. The whole thing sucks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, only had a mild case. I was on 4x3 also, now just doing 4x2..
Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, only had a mild case. I was on 4x3 also, now just doing 4x2..

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing 4x3 Asacol a day (4,800 mg/day) until my doctor switched me to 3x3 Colazal (750 mg/pill, 6,750 mg/day) to crank up my dosage. I do that and Remicade--which I assume no one else has experience with? It was approved for UC by the FDA only two years ago.

I also had the experience of a misdiagnosis at first. I didn't go to the doctor until my landlord installed a low-flow toilet and my mother noticed bits of clotted blood in the toilet water. The doctor noticed a fissure down there and told me to wipe up with Vaseline after each deuce. I went into the doctor again, and they said the fissure had healed, so they didn't know what was going on. It was about another month before I had to go to the hospital with the whole shebang--distended stomach, intense pain, bloody diarrhea every hour, etc. on the morning I was supposed to take the AP exam for European History. I still can't watch the "Swords, Knives, and Daggers" episode of Modern Marvels, because that's what I was watching when the pain started.

Of course, I never would have gone to the doctor in the first place if it weren't for that toilet. For a while we said that a low-flow toilet saved my life.

Anyway, this is what I'm using instead of the enema:

You use the aerosol can to fill the syringe and the syringe to fill up your chute.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 AM

I have read a lot of literature about remicade, but my doctor wouldn't give the okay for that. I am too "mild" to use something that drastic.

The worst thing about this whole thing is the constant stomach cramps that accompany it. I swear to god, you take your health for granted than BOOM!!! one day you wake up [censored] up and in the hospital.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read a lot of literature about remicade, but my doctor wouldn't give the okay for that. I am too "mild" to use something that drastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct--it's not something that you take lightly. A two-hour infusion is typical at the lab I go to, and there are some doctors who believe that Remicade is something that ought to be taken for a long, long time (life, even). My doctor doesn't believe in that, but I did very poorly when they removed me from Remicade this spring, so I'm looking at least a few more years of infusions.

OTOH, it's a good way to meet people who are in the same boat as you. Some people who take it do it for arthritis, but most of the folks at my lab are there for Crohn's with a few UC patients sprinkled in.

[ QUOTE ]
The worst thing about this whole thing is the constant stomach cramps that accompany it. I swear to god, you take your health for granted than BOOM!!! one day you wake up [censored] up and in the hospital.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT--and I can't do morphine. True story: the first time I tried morphine, the nurse brought in two syringes to squeeze in through my IV line. My reaction was so bad that I puked before she could even start giving me the second one.) Demerol does the same thing, though it's usually a few minutes before I throw up.

Fentanyl does the trick, though. I remember my first fentanyl trip in the hospital. I said to my Mom, "I feel kind of funny." (I was 15 then.)

"Of course you feel funny, hon. You're high."

Usually pain isn't my issue. My issue is that by the time the third day in the hospital rolls around, your symptoms subside, but then it's another couple days before the doctor clears you to go home. I always wind up sitting there for the last 48 hours or so, feeling like a fool.