View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Maybe i should try rephrasing my questions..
How much would i be looking to pay for a house on/near the beach..Probably a 3 bedroom house

Where would be optimal to stay within Thailand. Nicest beach area, night spots etc for best price

Should i look at doing anything 'touristy' whilst im over there

Reading what you've been writing about 400 a month for living is next to nothing, if i went to the gold coast in australia i'd be looking at like 5k a week...lol

Anything you want to add would help alot

Ship
Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 PM

alright, i think the gf and i are going to be living in phi phi for 2 months, july and august, yea rainy season i know. i've done most of thailand before but none of this side.

so any comments directly about phi phi are welcome, the diving, getting a super hot apartment for only 2 months, internet reliability on this island, nightlife, etc.

i guess this means i'll probably show the gf around bangkok for 2 or 3 days, so if anyone wants to do a one night meet up pm.

good job in this thread whoiam, your thoughts echo mine about pattaya and samui.

super important edit: free singhas for anyone who helps!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:48 AM

How you guys enjoying Sonkran?

This is my first time and I can't say it is all that great except for when I intend to go out and get soaked and have paste put all over my face, which isn't that often.

Yesterday I walked to get a pizza and some soda, a block from my apartment. I came back dripping wet with a soggy pizza and sticky, and pissed off.

My girlfriend said 'this is thailand, you are not in america, you cannot get mad, this is our culture'

wtf...

off to pattaya today w/ no camera or cell phone, an old pair of tennis shoes and a pocket full of 1,000 baht notes, should be a little funner.

have fun.

D
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 AM

valium, white paste btw! songkran is awsome get a gun and start spraying the laaadies
Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Shipit, Jay,
The best advice I can give you is to find a Thai person to phone real estate agents and help you negotiate your rent. There's a dual price system for just about everything here and real estate is no exception. When we were looking at places here, NTB's gf warned us not to talk when she was on the phone because if they heard farang in the background they would jack up the price.

all,
I have mixed feeling about Sonkran. On one hand it's fun to run around going crazy and spraying people with water. On the other hand, I'm not interested in being blasted in the face with ice-cold water while I'm riding my motorbike and just trying to get to my tailor for a fitting. I'd feel a lot better about the holiday if it were restricted to just a few areas. One amusing thing is that two nights ago I had a katooey put a water pistol to my head and demand a kiss. I couldn't help but think of this:

All you guys were right, I caught a disease from a girl here--pinkeye. My left eye is bright red and swollen almost shut; I look like effing Quasimodo. I got some antibiotic eye drops, but it looks like it's going to be mandatory celibacy until this clears up, at least if I don't want to pay.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 AM

You boy is in the building. Will be in BKK holla at me if you want to chill.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM

I got the following PM and thought I'd post it here for future reference: [ QUOTE ]
Hello
I have a few questions regarding renting a house/apartment in Phuket I hope you can help me with.
I plan on going to Thailand this fall. probably sept or october and stay there for 6+ months. It looks like Phuket is what fits me the best. I might go alone or with a friend. What is the best way to find a decent 1 or 2 bedroom appartment without getting screwed? I dont need super luxus just a decent place with stable internet connection since I will be playing poker from there.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
The best advice I can give you is to take a week or so and explore the island. Spend a night in each area/town and spend the day looking at houses and apartments. I think you're coming at the start of the busy season, but that shouldn't matter since you'll be looking at a different market than the tourists. If you're willing to commit to staying somewhere for 6 months, you'll be able to live in a nice Thai neighborhood at a great rate. Most landlords and real estate companies will want you to stay for a year, but there's no way they'll refuse an offer of 6 months from a farang.

Find a Thai person to call realtors and negotiate for you. Even if you have to pay a bar girl or something, just do it. You'll save thousands of baht every month. Any place savvy enough to advertise on the internet (especially in English and espcecially on Google) is going to be more than the going rate. This isn't to say you'll be completely ripped off or anything, but you'll pay more than a local would. Don't speak while your Thai assistant is on the phone and always have them quote a price up front. This price is just an offer--you will be able to bring it down, but it will still be in the general area of the original quote. They may be hesitant to rent to you and will want the lease in a Thai person's name. I'd probably just offer to pay each month in advance. Under no circumstances would I give them the full 6 months up front. Even with a signed lease, you'd probably have little legal recourse if they kicked you out.

Internet:
Make sure you get a place that is already wired for internet access. Make sure they can turn it on right away. This will limit your housing options, but it can take up to a month to install a line, so it's a necessary hassle. Upgrade to the best residential connection--it should be B2k-4k per month. Internet in Phuket can be unreliable by western standards, so as soon as you're moved in, contact another company and have a 2nd line installed. Get one of those two-source modems that will give you an uninterrupted connection if one of your lines goes out. You can find information about internet services in Thailand and a list of Phuket providers here.

Option #2 is to play in internet cafes or places offering free wifi. There's free wifi all over Patong, but I'm not sure if this is true in the rest of Phuket. Personally I don't feel comfortable entering my passwords over unsecure connections plus I lugged my 24" monitor here so I could play at home.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:45 AM

If anyone wants to chill or set up going out or something holla at me. I'm in BKK. I know there are a few of yall here so maybe we can have a get together? Is that cool?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM

songkran is cool. i enjoy seeing everyone out smiling and having fun and the atmosphere is cool. thais seem to really enjoy the holiday.

im surprised your pizza got wet. I went out several times during songkran in areas shoulder to shoulder with people and I didnt get wet. i think you just unlucky.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone wants to chill or set up going out or something holla at me. I'm in BKK. I know there are a few of yall here so maybe we can have a get together? Is that cool?

[/ QUOTE ]
How long you stay Thailand? You stay long time? I like you very much.

I'm going to do some traveling once I can convince myself to play poker for more than an hour a day and make some real money. If you're still here when I visit bkk we should definitely meet up. Are you Thai Thai (from Thailand)?
Closed Thread