Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Ovecards and raised on the turn again

This guy is loose passive. He is very straight forward and probably in the 50/3/0.5 range.

Hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP

UTG limps, I raise, all fold and UTG calls.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5 SB)

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Turn is 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.75 BB)

UTG checks, I bet, UTG raises, I...

Maybe it's the 200BB downswing talking, but this could be a fold against a guy like this. He has at least 2 pair here 90% of the time. I would say his range is J9s, 99, 22, 44, and a small possibility of a large combo draw like T8c, but I suspect he would just call with that. Stoving this makes it look like a fold, but I usually at least see the river and call if it pairs (although I called down this time because I'm running bad.)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Ovecards and raised on the turn again

If that's his range and you want to fold then fold.

This is a calldown when all we have is those numbers. Simple as that.

You make no money in poker by knowing how to play. Every dollar you earn - it's all in the execution.

Standard @ these limits = calldown.
Good read @ these limits = fold or 3-bet.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM

"I would say his range is J9s, 99, 22, 44,"

then it's a fold. you have two choices: put him on a wider range or play bad.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM

vs a guy like this, putting him on a narrow range based on non trash is a mistake. J9s 99 22 44 is way too narrow. He could easily have J9o, J4, 94, 24s etc. The fact that you have outs against a lot of his holdings makes this a call for me.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM

it looks like you don't have exact stats on him which probalby means you haven't played that many hands with the guy. if you played less than 30 hands with him i doubt you can have a good enough read to exclude AJ, KJ here.

if that's true, then of course i call. but, as others said, if for some reason you can exclude TPGK hands, you should muck.

EDIT: plus what nina said.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vs a guy like this, putting him on a narrow range based on non trash is a mistake. J9s 99 22 44 is way too narrow. He could easily have J9o, J4, 94, 24s etc. The fact that you have outs against a lot of his holdings makes this a call for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I'm just running bad and basically always lose when I make these calls for the last 5k hands. It's times like these when I start reviewing my hands and saying to myself: "these loose passives always have it when I call down in these spots so I could save a lot of bets just folding." I guess I should stop looking to save bets by folding in these spots unless I have a well developed read that he only raises with 2 pair and doesn't limp complete junk.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I'm just running bad and basically always lose when I make these calls for the last 5k hands. It's times like these when I start reviewing my hands and saying to myself: "these loose passives always have it when I call down in these spots so I could save a lot of bets just folding." I guess I should stop looking to save bets by folding in these spots unless I have a well developed read that he only raises with 2 pair and doesn't limp complete junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can certainly relate to that, but that's no reason to kill your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say his range is J9s, 99, 22, 44, and a small possibility of a large combo draw like T8c, but I suspect he would just call with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

His range is exactly those hands plus a small percentage of the time, JT-AJ. 50/3/0.5's don't raise on draws at the limits we play at so you can forget about the semi-bluff.

You're behind a very high percentage of the time and don't even know what outs you're drawing to. The only reasons you can call this down are to get info for the future on this guy and because of the slight chance he has JT-AJ.

Just a hunch but I put this guy on 44. These 50/3/0.5 guys tend to raise on the street that they hit on and not slowplay.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

I'm sorry but this seems like a very easy calldown, there's just no way you can put this villain on such a narrow range.