Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: The fish need validation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
idk why everyone keeps trying to teach donks how to play better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. Full agreement, let em be fish

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I have to admit, I generally do much better if, say, 75% of the players are at least descent. If the number of donks get too high, it seems to me that it becomes much more of a “gamblers” game, rather than a skill game with some gamble to it.

Maybe it’s a weakness in my game, I suppose. But I’d rather be able to narrow down the hands of at least a few people in the hand... And I don’t want to play a multiway pot every hand against people who will always see a flop, even if I fold 18 hands in a row and raise 10X BB (extreme example) from LP. If I wanted to play multiway pots every hand, I would play limit.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it’s a weakness in my game

[/ QUOTE ]

It's without a doubt a weakness.

Games with nothing but complete idiots are the most profitable, but can be very volatile and your emotions will be put to the test.

The pots you get sucked out on will be much much bigger and the trash people will be beating you with will be much more exotic.

However did you notice the part about the pots being much, much bigger? That's the key.

[ QUOTE ]
And I don’t want to play a multiway pot every hand against people who will always see a flop, even if I fold 18 hands in a row and raise 10X BB (extreme example) from LP. If I wanted to play multiway pots every hand, I would play limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find ways to punish them for playing trash. Raise bigger after a bunch of people have limped in. Raise/reraise big your premium starting hands.

When they play junk the less they put in preflop the better implied odds they have for the rest of hte hands. If you charge them a big amount preflop (and they are willing to call) they are sacrificing way too much immediate EV and not getting enough implied odds later.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I
I should have stayed out of it, but I couldn’t help but to quote his stats and tell him that he should wait to become a winning player before he calls a player names. Another player (one who is up $3000ish) joined me.

The losing player told us that those stats mean nothing because all the pros say that they were losing players before they hit their first “big win” to establish a bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I found myself in an eerily similar (as in 95% identical) situation today. Word for word, even down to his justification for being a losing player. I NEVER act this way at the table, but there was something about the arrogance of fishycoach that pushed me over the edge.

I immediately regretted it, and continue to feel like an ass.

Strange coincidence...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Sharkscope is a good indicator but in some ways the fish is right. SS only covers sng's if im not mistaken, and if you're a cash table or MTT player then it can take a good few tourneys/buyins before you make significant payouts. When I started playing online I had $20 and gradually built it up to around $200 in around 2 months. Then I went through a long period where I just could not cash (MTTs) even though I felt I was playing well and getting my money in good. At this point i was playing $3-$5 MTTs (I know very small stakes but im a poor student). Then all of a sudden I had a big result in a $3 tourney (came 2nd and won $200 ish). Then soon after I came 11th in a $60,000 guaranteed (which id won a satellite for $4 to get my seat) and bagged $1,100. Now i'm sure most people would see this as insignificant money but to me it's not. The fact that at the beggining I was making hardly anything then in a short space of a few tournies I'd upped it from less than $200 to around $1,500 shows that MTT players' BRs can be volatile. Surely it can take a lot of loss before you gain? p.s. Im not boasting as i dont see myself as a fantastic player, at the same time I'm no fish. My poker winnings have been sufficient to support my student lifestyle somewhat (been playing just over a year) but I wouldn't call myself a "winning player" in the true sense. Yet after around 2 months and 100 or so MTTs my profits were tiny.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 PM

I see your point, but 500 S&G’s at a pretty consistent downward pace (as shown by graph) is a pretty solid indicator. I don’t think that this player could not pull off a miracle win in a big $ tourney, but I don’t think that in the long run, he would be able to stop making deposits. He will continue to play badly and prolly lose even more because he got “a taste.”