Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:00 PM

Default How bad is this push?

Villain had been pretty aggressive preflop, raising a lot lately and cbetting all the time. Maybe just call and push any flop?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3140
CO: t1690
Button: t5940
SB: t7175
Hero: t2055

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t1855</font>, SB calls t1455 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2355)</font>.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t4110, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t4110)

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t4110, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t4110)

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t4110, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t4110)

Results:
Final pot: t4110
Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: How bad is this push?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe just fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Fold pockets in a blindbattle, when I am short and need to double up anyway? Riiiiiiiight!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 PM

It's fine.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM

If you think you have any FE at all you should shove
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Ummm, didn't want to come over cocky with my last reply. To specify my question, I was wondering if there was a better way to play it than pushing pre, I think folding is out of the question. Anyway, after using that brain of mine a little, I guess there is simply no other way than pushing, if I call and he cbets, he will call that measly 800 or so anyway with ATC. Problem solved, thank you 2p2!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

I think shoving here is fine, especially if you know SB will try to steal your blind. You still have some amount of fold equity because he won't have quite 2-1 on a call. Calling preflop with the 33 is not an option here because you aren't deep enough to play for set value, and if he's (in your words) "c-betting all the time", chances are he'll be first into the pot on the flop and you'll be practically calling all-in on a board that is overwhelmingly likely to bring three overcards.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you have any FE at all you should shove

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually hoping that a little. He might fold the crappiest crap he could have raised with, but calling with ATo (which was what he had) is probably ok. Oh well.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think shoving here is fine, especially if you know SB will try to steal your blind. You still have some amount of fold equity because he won't have quite 2-1 on a call. Calling preflop with the 33 is not an option here because you aren't deep enough to play for set value, and if he's (in your words) "c-betting all the time", chances are he'll be first into the pot on the flop and you'll be practically calling all-in on a board that is overwhelmingly likely to bring three overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But I just thought that if he puts me in on any board, whether he hit or missed, then the outcome is no different than if I had pushed pre, but I am giving him an additional chance to hang himself. Kinda reverse stop'n'go or so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Need to keep that in mind for future play, it might come in handy some day.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But I just thought that if he puts me in on any board, whether he hit or missed, then the outcome is no different than if I had pushed pre, but I am giving him an additional chance to hang himself. Kinda reverse stop'n'go or so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Need to keep that in mind for future play, it might come in handy some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that he will bet the flop with any two, he only time he'll "hang" himself is when you flop a set. You're approximately 8-to-1 against doing that, and you're committing around a quarter of your remaining stack to call preflop, which is very unfavorable. Remember, you pushing preflop and him folding is not a horrible result at all. Actually with 33, you're probably rooting for a fold because if he calls you're either totally crushed by a higher PP or in a race with some overcards. Note that with only 10BB in your stack before the flop, your ability to play post-flop poker is almost nil, so it's really a preflop all-in or fold decision. Though, if you had a premium pocket pair like AA or KK, I could see how you could use his c-betting tendencies against him by just flat-calling his preflop raise.
Closed Thread