Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Forming a non-profit

Okay. I've been thinking about this for a long time and after busting my roll for the first time playing for a living for 2 years. I've been forced to do a lot of thinking.

The good news is that I was able to make a small deposit online (I've been playing live 1-2,3-5nl) and grind that up to where I can at least eat and pay bills. I know lots of people will tell me I should get a job. I should probably but I haven't been able to find one I want. But I figure its time to get this world-changing idea out of my head and into a tax-free entity.

My question is two-part. First, can I do this myself, or am I better off using one of these online places (e.g. legalzoom.com). And second, is there anyone that has experience with this type of thing that is willing to offer some insight/wisdom?

The NPO should be tax-free and able to accept tax-deductible contributions.

This is a legitimate idea and not some tax evasion scheme.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Forming a non-profit

what world changing idea?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM

sounds like an illegitimate idea... almost like some sort of tax evasion "scheme".
Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what world changing idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Let us know how this works out because I may be starting The Church of 2/325Falcon soon.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Why don't you tell us your non-profit idea? Are you afraid some selfish person will steal it and help thousands upon thousands of people?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Phase 1: Make vague OOT post

Phase 2: ???????

Phase 3: Non-profit!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phase 1: Make vague OOT post

Phase 2: ???????

Phase 3: Non-profit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Find yourself a good local CPA that can tell you your incorporation options according to local/state/federal laws, along with tax liabilities for all the options. Trying to set up a non-profit charitable organization has a lot of requirements, including dealing with the IRS . . . no way would I try this alone, or even with web help. Find an expert; might cost you a hundred or two for consulting, but it is money well spent if you are really serious.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry about not posting the idea, not a secret.

The idea is this:

I want to set up an organization that raises money in order to sponsor a sort of donor travel(ers). Basically I would probably be the first person to do this, but I'm not very qualified so if someone else became a better choice or a lot of money rolled in quickly then there would be other people.. hopefully lots of people.

It's very simple.. and it wouldn't necessarily take a non-profit as rich people could do it themselves, the idea is to have the NPO so they could give money and not bother with the travel.

The donor-traveler would go to some chosen dismal place, I have in mind rural but this isn't necessary either... and look around, ask the elders what would make things less dismal, or figure out some other way, and then with their sponsorship dig a well or buy sewing machines or a fridge or whatever.

Sustainability and self-reliance would be core values. So I would rather see the organization giving tools and teaching things rather than buying a bunch of rice that has only delayed starvation.

The long term goal is more to start a trend than a non-profit

A hundred or two is no problem. I have no idea how to find a 'good' CPA. and stormstarter, i lol'd.. wrote this post and lol'd again.

Edit: I would also like a catchy new noun to label the donor-traveler, I don't know what to call him/her. Also a name for the organization itself. Ideas for either are greatly appreciated