Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
Was at a 1-2 nl game at T.I. a month ago and was in a hand with a pretty tight player. He bets half the pot, I call with nut flush and gutshot draw. Turn is a blank, he pushes about 1.5 of the pot, I flash my cards (frustration at the night of futility I was enjoying) and muck.

lol...you crackhead... you are only 20% to flush out on the river

Guy next to me says "good fold, you had about a 20% chance of making the flush" I say "I think it is closer to 25% but whatever" "no, no" he says "I read it in several books, with one card to go you only have 20%" I say "well, there are 4 suits, right? and 1/4 is 25% right??!!!" "Well, yes, I don't know the exact math behind it, but this has been proven by simulations and these are facts from people like Doyle Brunson" To this day I don't know if he was trying to put on the dumb guy act which I do sometimes or if he really believed it. He kept spouting facts and figures the whole night, but he never made money nor did he bust out so I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was about 4 years ago, playing 15-30 live, 10 seat table. i had been playing laggy for a limit game and was running over the table, with about 4k in front of me, showing bluffs when players folded, showing the nuts when they called me down, very nice run. i raise in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], button and BB call,
flop, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB check, i bet, button raise, BB call, i raise, button raise, BB fold, i call.

turn, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], i check, button looks a long time at his hand, and then finally bets, i insta CR (putting him on smaller flush draw), he looks at me and asks me what i have,
i turn over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (this is when showing one card was still legal) and tell him "flush draw", thinking that A high was good. he reraises, (sigh), i call

river, 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ding ding ding.

i bet, he raises, i raise, he raises, i check my cards and ask him, "are you bluffing me?" he gives me a cold death stare and flips over a T, (okay) i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he calls, (HU was unlimited action, but any all in verbal agreement was not yet permitted), i get him to put his whole $700 stack in. the table is amazed, nothing like this has EVER happened. i fully expect him to turn over TT.

i show the wheel, he turns over QTo. even i am aghast. someeone asks him, "why the hell didnt you just call?" he replies, "i thought he was trying to bluff me off of top pair"

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, this is great. How many times did you have to look back at your hand to make sure you really had the nuts? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
holy crap, this is great. How many times did you have to look back at your hand to make sure you really had the nuts? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[nit]46 is the nuts[/nit]

I might have stopped at some point, afraid that he had 46. But then again, I'm a wimp.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have stopped at some point, afraid that he had 46. But then again, I'm a wimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain showed one of his cards (a ten) making it improbable that he held 46.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flushes come at least 50% of the time. They either do, or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is kind of a standard gambling fallacy - if there are 2 outcomes, then the probability of each occurring is 50%. It's kind of obvious it's not always true - gamblers recognize that a sports team can be a huge favorite. But when they are gambling on something for which they have little information, then they get clueless. For example, a prize is behind Door #1 or Door #2, almost everyone will jump to the conclusion that it's a 50/50 choice, when really they have no basis at all for assuming that.

I remember one $1/2 NL player who said JT was his favorite hand, and he always raises with it. He was getting short-stacked (surprise!) and went all in. He winced when someone called him - he assumed he was a big underdog until his opponent turned over AK, when he sighed relief and said "Oh good, I thought I was dominated - but it's a coin flip." I guess either he was gonna hit his cards or the other guy was, so it was a "coin flip", right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard someone say that a flush draw is 50/50 on the flop at least ten times. And I don't play live very much.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain showed one of his cards (a ten) making it improbable that he held 46.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! I take it back.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 AM

Years ago, the donk-infested 5-10 crap shoot in Halifax, I fold after betting out on the flop wth aces. I had seen the player beside me look at his cards and he had a set. He rased and I tossed my aces face-up into the muck. The dealer made sure everone knew that I had just thrown away what must have been the greatest hand in the history of poker. The collective IQ of that table was 7 and they spent the night hammering on the "moron from out West." It was one of my single-biggest wins in a small game. The last strategy I heard from the table coach to the loser as I was stacking another pile of his chips was "you were right to play that queen-three agressively, that is a very strong hand."

Poker rules.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Maybe this one will go better for me.

Me and my buddy "Action Dan" are playing a little 3/6. He is on my right. The table is doing a lot of straddling/live-six'ing, so on our last hand Dan convinces me to live 9 his live 6. So I do it, and everyone at the table asks the guy on my left (we'll call him "other guy") if he'll live 12 it.

He declines, then open raises. It folds all the way to Action Dan (it's 4 bets now), who caps it (5 bet cap). I am not pleased to find 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the hole, but nonetheless call the last two bets. Other guy calls.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Dan bets, we both call.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Dan bets, I fold, other guy calls.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Dan bets, other guy calls. Dan says "Well surely you must have me beaten" and tables K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . Other guy tables 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and says the ever-classic "I knew you didn't have it".

I have to leave the table for fear that I'm laughing hard enough to warrant physical violence.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glad this thread keeps getting bumped. Reminded me of something I heard last time I was at the table:

Guy: Did you know that 2 pair makes a full house more often than a set?
Me: Hahaha... yeah I guess it seems like that sometimes.
Guy: No seriously. It's easier to fill up with 2 pair than if you have a set.
Me: Um... well I don't think so. A set has 10 outs, and 2 pair has 4 outs.
Guy: That's what you'd think, I know. But really, if you work out the odds long enough, you'll see. Trust me, you want 2 pair.
Me: OK. You're probably right. No wonder I keep losing with sets.
Guy: See? I told you, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow keep them thinking that...

[/ QUOTE ]

... and remind them that if they flop one pair that they're only two cards away from a full house ...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Some old lady got all her chips in PF with AJ vs AQ and after she busted said "It was 50/50, I can hit my J or he can hit his Q." I almost flipped the table over.

Last week 1/2 a 3 limpers and BB checks. Flop comes Jxx with 2 spades, checks around, turn comes 9 spades super-tight player who overbets every pot because he just grabs a handful of chips and throws them in tosses in $22 into an $10, another guy calls with K9, river is another 9 super-tight goes allin (overbet) K9 calls and loses to a 62 flush from the blind and moans about how the guy CALLED HIM with 62 for the rest of the night saying it was brutal and how unlucky he is.