Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: A5s in blind battle.

baltostar is going for the greatest level of all time, encompassing weeks and multiple threads. I can't wait until he turns out to be gigabet
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM

gigabet was a level too lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Overall I think its inconsistent to limp an ace in the sb and bet big at any point. (3K on the turn). The 3K turn bet with the PF limp and flop check looks more like a 5 than anything else.

This is a very read (on player) specific spot, but in general it looks like neither player has a 7 or a pocket pair ; since u hav a 5 its as likely for him to hav a 5 as a 2. Ur slightly behind in the hand but he will pay u with a worse 5.

I think u need to bet to keep ur range wide; I'm not thrilled that the pot has gotten so big; I'd bet 5K and not expect to get raised by worse hands.

FWIW If u had raised PF I think it's less likely for him to have a 2 and ur way ahead.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM

A sign of intelligence is being able to deliver complex ideas in a simple manner. baltosar is doing the complete opposite, i.e, delivering simple ideas in a way-over-the-top complex manner, which is one of the most annoying things anyone can do, regardless of how much merit these ideas have (They do have some BTW, but are much less deep or revolutionary than what baltosar seems to think).

This is a known (although relatively rare) disease on 2+2, and not very surprisingly, it's usually found at posts written by ex-"successful traders" who have switched to poker, for some unknown reason.

From this little article (I randomly just found) about excess verbiage:

"The use of excess verbiage is not so much a flaw in reasoning but a flaw in the argument process because of the way it inhibits communication and is a barrier to a proper evaluation of a person's ideas. Nevertheless, because such a style makes it difficult for others to understand what a person is saying, it is reasonable to wonder if perhaps it is also a sign that the author herself fails to understand what she is saying.

Although it cannot be assumed that one always leads to the other, it is true that an incoherent presentation of ideas is often a sign of incoherent thinking and an inadequate understanding of the ideas involved. People who have a very good grasp of what they are explaining are usually able to present their material in a clear and coherent manner. In order to determine whether this is the case instead of some other reason (like those described above), simply tell the person that it is difficult to get through their explanation, ask them to simplify it, and see what happens."
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A sign of intelligence is being able to deliver complex ideas in a simple manner. baltosar is doing the complete opposite, i.e, delivering simple ideas in a way-over-the-top complex manner, which is one of the most annoying things anyone can do, regardless of how much merit these ideas have (They do have some BTW, but are much less deep or revolutionary than what baltosar seems to think).

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I say I thought is was deep and revolutionary. I said I have noticed persistent and pervasive thought patterns on these boards that are detrimental to good players' games because the patterns are based on certain flawed assumptions about tournament risk.

Those with any background in reading articles on risk management will recognize that my language is relatively terse and simple by comparison. In fact, when I used to write for trading sites, people gave me a lot of credit for explaining risk ideas in a straightforward manner.

I'd say this forum is way way way on the "few words as possible" scale. Not saying that's bad, but it's not always appropriate.

Problem 1: a small but decent % of what people say is way open to interpretation (it's not exact enough)

Problem 2: bare-bones talk can't really describe general concepts in risk

When I've used relatively a lot of words, it is to describe general concepts of risk. Concepts of risk are very tricky to describe in the english language because they orignate and are best-described in the language of mathematics.

Would you rather read what I write or what Chen writes in The Mathematics of Poker ?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you rather read what I write or what Chen writes in The Mathematics of Poker ?

[/ QUOTE ]

neither really. and you focus way too much on "risk management" or whatever
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM

This thread is retardo?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM

someone tell me in less than 3 sentences what balostar is saying, because i haven't read anything he's written but i'd like to take a stance on the issue since i'm so good at poker
Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather makeout with Bill Chen than read what you write.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone tell me in less than 3 sentences what balostar is saying, because i haven't read anything he's written but i'd like to take a stance on the issue since i'm so good at poker

[/ QUOTE ]

<3