Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Would you put your life on the line?

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that you're irrational. It has nothing to do with being 'cool'. Every single decision you make in life is a choice between risk and reward and the OP (or at least the first time it was asked) is an interesting way to make you think about the choices you make every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I could disagree more, but perhaps we're at an impasse. Out of curiousity, how old are you? I'm 31.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that you're irrational. It has nothing to do with being 'cool'. Every single decision you make in life is a choice between risk and reward and the OP (or at least the first time it was asked) is an interesting way to make you think about the choices you make every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I could disagree more, but perhaps we're at an impasse. Out of curiousity, how old are you? I'm 31.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a value or belief statement. Its a fact. Everytime you do action X there is some non-zero chance you could die. Some actions like lying on the couch have a pretty low percentage value, some actions like travelling 70 mph down a busy highway have a higher percentage (although still very low), some actions like playing Russian roulette have a much higher percentage. Every action we take we do because it gives us some utility (often not money).

I'd be curious to how you'd answer my question about driving to 50 cities in order to get 10 million dollars.

I'm 25.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM

id do this in a second...1 in 50 is as low as id go though.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 PM

I'd much rather take my chances of attacking him at an oppurtune moment, cuz if I get the right moment Id have a much better chance of taking the money than 1/50. As is though Id never take the 1/50 gamble.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather take my chances of attacking him at an oppurtune moment, cuz if I get the right moment Id have a much better chance of taking the money than 1/50. As is though Id never take the 1/50 gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand this gamble/life.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume then that you would take OPs bet if the number you had to pick was between 1 and 18585.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume wrong. Maybe it's because people think it's cool to say they take the "value" over everything else. Or maybe you're just not reading what I write.

I will not place a value on my life or on my body. I will not give up my little finger or pinky toe for $1 million or more, whether it's whacked off by a cleaver or surgically removed with anesthesia and a scalpel.

[Please excuse the spelling errors above, if there are any]

The point is not whether my life would be better or worse. It's my body, my life, and I'm not going to say it's worth some definitive amount. That seems counterintuitive to how I want to live. If you feel different, take that little toe to ebay and good luck with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you work ?? You do it every day .
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM

I say yes now, but might wuss out given the opportunity. I think it would be much easier if it was 1 in 500 for 1 million.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM

I absolutely take the gamble. I think 1-50 is about as comfortable as I am with this.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nor do I think crossing the street represents a calculated risk.

[/ QUOTE ] It represents a risk, wether you've calculated it or not. Is your position that you will only take risks as long as your are able to be in denial about them being risks / as long as you haven't calculated them?

Well, ok. Like you say, it's your life.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM

I'm walking. I prolly wouldn't take the gamble until I had like 1 in 10K odds. Tho if I was confronted with such a situation I would be doubtful my odds were anywhere close to what I was supposedly being offered and I would walk regardless of the money or how high the odds that were offered were.