Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: 40 T9s in the BB, more than one street to play. EDITED

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I would give serious thought here to one of them having a flush. Please come play at my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played this hand as near standard as I could, I was just checking up on my flop aggression, which I was assured I'm fine.

I bet the turn, they both called.

The river: Jh

I bet, SB nearly folded out of turn, UTG thought forever and folded.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 AM

I would give it serious thought too. That's why I'd 3-bet.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I would give serious thought here to one of them having a flush. Please come play at my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played this hand as near standard as I could, I was just checking up on my flop aggression, which I was assured I'm fine.

I bet the turn, they both called.

The river: Jh

I bet, SB nearly folded out of turn, UTG thought forever and folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the results are in so it is hard to make a real call on the correct play but I am curious as to your thoughts on the turn JT since you were there. I know Russ is aggro at times (funny how you never mentioned who it is yet we all know or think we know) but he likely sees you are reasonably nitty and when you see the diamond hit and donk out like "whoops that is my card boys" I think 3 betting a raise is a little spewy especially since you can't fold to a 4. Your thoughts?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 AM

you have to bet the turn. Far far too often the straddler recognizes the folly of his flop decision and checks the turn. Every other street is pretty standard. I like playing standard poker. It makes baby Jesus smile.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 AM

i would call flop and bet turn and wouldn't think about folding unless it was about 8-bets back to me.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 AM

I don't understand the point of your raise on the flop. Why are you trying to knock out the player to your left when you have a drawing hand? You have a gutshot and a backdoor flush. I'd want to see the turn as cheaply as possible and be done with the hand w/o improvement.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the point of your raise on the flop. Why are you trying to knock out the player to your left when you have a drawing hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing the SB heads up with position is going to improve your chances to win if you miss your draw.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:40 PM

preflop fine.

Flop raise is not good. A "spewy lagtard" leads out on the flop which means he is going to showdown with his Ace, pocket pair, or little piece he hit on the flop. To your left is a guy on tilt who just straddled which means he is unlikely to be going anywhere. Since it is unlikely you are going to win this before or at showdown as is, I would just call and enjoy the wonderful implied odds you have if you hit your gutshot. Why would you want to knock out the UTG and get heads up with someone who certainly seems to be showdown bound?

It would be tough not to go three bets on the turn here against the players described. I would absolutely three bet if UTG raised and probably three bet if SB check-raised.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

You played this hand fine. Flop raise is absolutely critical in my opinion. If you dont know whether you should bet the turn or check/raise, then I dont know either. I guess If I really didnt know which line was best on the turn, I would just bet myself.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the point of your raise on the flop. Why are you trying to knock out the player to your left when you have a drawing hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing the SB heads up with position is going to improve your chances to win if you miss your draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the chances of that happening, and how much does it improve your chances? And is the expectation from this combination of events worth the cost of the extra bet and the reduced payoff if you DO make your draw?