Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: [.25/.50] ATo preflop

[ QUOTE ]
Who said you have to bet second pair into a field of 5 players with a 6 SB pot? Check and see what develops. I'd check J8s (top pair) on this board with this many opponents, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

k, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think a lot of people here would bet the flop in your example either way which I guess goes back to the postflop skill argument.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your postflop skill is nullified by your lack of position

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we are saying the same thing and I'm just being too nitty, but I don't think your postflop skill is "nullified" by being out of position or by having many people in the pot. I agree that it is always harder to play your hand out of position, but you don't suddenly turn into some poker retard who cant make correct plays.

Just by the fact that you will be doing things like (check)raising bets from your right for protection, shows that there are still elements of your postflop skill involved.

How about when you take a c/c, c/c, b/f line to prevent weaker hands checking behind on the river? You are exibiting knowledge of theory many players don't understand.

Am I just being a nit and you didn't really mean "nullified"?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 PM

nullified was too strong a word but it's most certainly blunted. Basically since your situation forces you to make a certain number of mistakes, your skill can only go so far. And if you're going to play the hand similarly either way (Aaron says he is not, which means he is justified in not wanting to bloat the pot) then keeping the pot small helps your opponents more than you because they can get away from small pots easier where you can't. Which btw is one reason people who check AA in the blind hoping to make it up postflop are idiots.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

your postflop skill is nullified by your lack of position

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we are saying the same thing and I'm just being too nitty, but I don't think your postflop skill is "nullified" by being out of position or by having many people in the pot. I agree that it is always harder to play your hand out of position, but you don't suddenly turn into some poker retard who cant make correct plays.

Just by the fact that you will be doing things like (check)raising bets from your right for protection, shows that there are still elements of your postflop skill involved.

How about when you take a c/c, c/c, b/f line to prevent weaker hands checking behind on the river? You are exibiting knowledge of theory many players don't understand.

Am I just being a nit and you didn't really mean "nullified"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're being a nit or maybe I'm using the wrong word... I don't know.

When I think of postflop skill, I think of it in terms of being able to make money in situations where many others can't. A lot of this money (in position) comes from well placed raises and making marginal value bets. It is this skill of making extra money with these bets that gets mullified.

When you're OOP, your postflop skill becomes a matter of not losing as much money as others do. This is the skill of check-calling and check-folding, particularly in multi-way pots -- there are some check-raises that you can slide in to make some extra money, but they aren't too common. Lots of players do these things pretty well, so I don't consider it as much of a postflop skill.

So call it what you want. We're pretty much on the same page.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 AM

Agreed.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

/* Wonders if Aaron is cooking up a 7k post...*/ [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 02:21 AM

Cmon, still preflop? (I know I shouldnt, but trolling PF decisions is my metier [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I would raise it. But it doesnt matter anyways, b/c "PF discussions are gay" (bozlax).
Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

/* Wonders if Aaron is cooking up a 7k post...*/ [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm... it came out a little early (6994, I think) and you missed it.

7k Post: Retooling how you think about sample sizes (tl;dr-too mathy)