Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Pre Flop re-rasies when bank roll building

I have just started to try and build my bank oll, starting at 0.15/0.25 NL. Before this I have mainly played tournies, and I have a reasonable understanding of tournament theory, mostly derived form the HOH books. I havent had much chance to put a lot of this into practice, but I really enjoy reading and talking about a lot of the material I have come across.
I have a question about a situation that has arisen a couple of times in the last few days. I am doing OK at the level I am playing, using solid poker, nothing silly and grinding out the wins to further my bankroll. If I am in pots pre flop it is usually with a raise (obviously there are times to limp). My problem comes when I have hands such as AK, AQ or QQ, have raised to say $1 / $1.50 and get a reraise to $3 or so.
In tournies when the blinds are increasing and you have to push good hands most of the time I am comfortable playing or folding these hands. But in small cash games I am not sure if I want to get into what could well be coin flip situations, especially OOP.
If I know they are a donk and are raising with garbage then thats fine, but on the whole, at this level, can these re-raises be taken seriously.
So far I have generally seen it done with stonger hands but I havent been playing for too long.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Pre Flop re-rasies when bank roll building

These are tough situations made easier if you know your opponents and have some idea of their re-raising ranges. What also matters a great deal is your image. If you raise a lot pots pf observant opponents may start re-raising you light, and for this reason, you should call or re-raise with a broader range of hands.

Against a typical opponent I muck AQ to re-raises of this size and call with pairs (assuming full stacks) and with AK . If I a short stack (<40b bb) re-raises me pf I will typically push with with tens or better, AK, and even AQ, depending on the player, with the intention of getting called. I'm likely to fold smaller pairs to a re-raise from a typical short stack as there are no implied odds to draw for a set.

Lucky
Old 02-09-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre Flop re-rasies when bank roll building

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have just started to try and build my bank roll, starting at 0.15/0.25 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't try to say what you should do in these situations because I am just learning NL at this point.

However, if you are making different plays because you are "bankroll building" than you would if you were just playing, you are probably playing at an inappropriate limit. Your goal should be to make the right plays, irregardless of the state of your roll.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your goal should be to make the right plays, regardless of the state of your roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 PM

I agree with that as well, its not that I havent got the bank roll to play at this limit, I was just curious to see if there was a different tae on these situations when playing cash games rather than tournies.
Thanks all.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Your goal should be to make the right plays, regardless of the state of your roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I also agree but there are times when I am taking a shot at a higher level that i may be just rolled for, where I will play more cautiously until I know I can lose a couple of BIs without dropping back down.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with that as well, its not that I havent got the bank roll to play at this limit, I was just curious to see if there was a different tae on these situations when playing cash games rather than tournies.
Thanks all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly there are differences. The simple answer is that you don't need to take as many chances with those hands in cash games. The longer answer is what others have said - heavily read dependant.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Only that in a tournament, you might on occasion be so short stacked that folding something like AQ is going to so cripple you that, even as a 3:1 underdog to a range including hands like KK, QQ, and AK (as well as JJ and AA) , you'd figure you have to gamble rather than fold. You don't get "pot committed" in quite the same way in ring games.

Against a standard player with no reads at these stakes, a three-bet indicates AK, JJ-AA, possibly TT. A small three-bet (just over minimum) suggests it might be toward the top of the range.

<ul type="square">[*]AQ fares very poorly against this range, so dump it.[*]AK holds its own, because there are fewer combinations of AA and KK so you're probably even money against JJ-QQ or AK. Call unless you think your opponent would 3-bet JJ or AK but fold to a 4-bet, in which case reraise.[*]QQ is a premium hand, the third-best out there. However, against a 3-bet you have to consider that AA and KK make up a substantial portion of opponent's range. Call, and play aggressively, but also be careful about going broke to an overpair if three babies flop. [/list]
That's my general preflop approach. At higher stakes there's more value to playing lesser hands as semibluffs against a 3-bet, but at NL25 few are going to 3-bet and then fold to a push.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM

If you're playing with big stacks, and you can afford to just call a three-bet pre-flop should your position have anything to do with this decision, or are stacks going in no matter what? e.g. You hold QQ and the flop comes Kh 3s Ad. If you are OOP are you checking and folding to a large bet?