Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Bonehead move on my part - was there any way out of it??

I think because of action behind, whether the original all-in guy moved chips or not OP is SOL. His all-in behind the first all-in may well have influenced the next two hands to fold while had OP folded they woulda called. He can't all-in, screw the pot up for the original all-inner, and then say "sorry, didn't mean it, give it back".

IFF OP figured out before anybody else had acted that he'd goofed, he MIGHT be able to get out of it. (I wouldn't hold my breath.) But no floor should let him out after two people downstream folded to his all-in.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 AM

Why is it that half these rules threads involve players who don't have any idea what they are doing, and the other half feature yet another bump on a log lump of useless flesh do nothing sleeping dealer who just wants to be woke up if he gets tipped?

There may be certain games at certain limits where the dealer should not say anything. Any tournament, whether $25 or $25,000, is never one of them. The dealer is required to announce the action (not s'poseda, not optionally, and not if only they feel like it). This does include announcing that a player has moved all-in, and requires the dealer to do this mandatory task in a manner that all players at the table will know what has happened. Had this dealer announced that a player was all-in, this thread would not exist.

Yes, you should have been paying more attention, but only because it's so commonplace to have dealers who don't announce the action, control their table, or do their job well. The player should not have to figure out on their own what the action is, they should be told by the dealer.

Obviously It isn't necessary to announce folds or every single call. It is necessary to announce raises, reraises, all-ins, and the initial bet during a given betting round. Certain venues may require more than this, such as announcing the amounts of bets or raises.**

Dealers that don't announce their game don't control their game. They frequently have misunderstandings such as this one because the players have no idea what's going on

Bottom line - protecting your hand in all ways is the player's top priority. Protecting the game, which includes controlling the game, is the dealer's first responsibility. If the dealer does their job, the players may wind up having to spend little effort to protect their hands, and be left with nothing left to do but play poker.

Al

** before some of you nits go off getting all indignant at the idea of a dealer announcing the amount of a bet before someone still in the hand has asked how much, stop. Some rooms require their dealers to announce the amounts of bets or raises. I agree with this in low limit no limit games that are full of tourists. If you don't, you'll waste half the night waiting for this guy to do something, but he doesn't know how much and doesn't understand to ask. The game would simply go way too slow if you didn't help it along.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:29 AM

no, its your responsibility to follow the action on the table