Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Stretches to do for comfortable lotus position?

I'm trying to get into zazen meditation and want to be able to do the lotus position. I'm very inflexible and it's practically impossible to get into the lotus position and even when I do it's far too uncomfortable for meditation. I figure if I have a regimen of stretches that I do everyday that eventually I'll be able to do it. So what stretches should I do? Proper names for stretches (for easy googling) appreciated.

lotus position:

Old 12-31-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Stretches to do for comfortable lotus position?

Get a pillates (spelling) DVD and you will increse your flexibility while strengthening your Abs. I used to be the least flexible person I knew, but pillates has really helped. You also improve your posture and strength in the process.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 PM

Wanna recommend one?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 AM

I can think of two good stretches for this but I don't know the names. The first is where, sitting down, you place the soles of your feet together and draw them in towards your pelvis. Lightly bounce your knees up and down gently bringing them as close to the floor as they will go. The second is again done sitting down on the floor. Grab a foot and try to bring your toe to your nose. When that becomes easy, do the heel. If you want a freak level of flexibility put it behind your head.

If you are overweight you will have additional difficulties sitting in full lotus. Sitting in half lotus will aclimate your body to the position and speed your ability to get in the position. If you are going to sit in full or half lotus buy a meditation cushion or use a thick pillow bent in half or something but it is important for your posture to have your pelvis elevated above where your knees and calves rest. By the way there is nothing magical about the full lotus or any other sitting position. The only really important element is an erect spine (don't slouch and sit on your pelvis) and relaxed muscles. You can meditate fine in any chair of a height where your thighs and calves are at a right angle. Also, there is no "too uncomfortable"; notice the pain! And keep on going...

regards,

raisins
Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Start going to yoga classes and you'll learn a ton of them. You need a lot of hip openers like pigeon pose.

You start like in the picture above, but then you "fold forward" so that your forehead is touching the ground (with or without forearm support).

This will likely take you a while.
Closed Thread