Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Default On a resteal at 2/4 (high)- Bet into on 5th

Villain just sat down (this is the second hand he's been dealt), and I've never seen him before.

Are we okay with the resteal? I was confused when he bet into me on 5th; what's my play here?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.88 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.44 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___????
Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: On a resteal at 2/4 (high)- Bet into on 5th

Fold. You tried to resteal/bluff on 3rd & 4th & got called. Obviously he has something...putting another dime in this pot is just spewy to me.

Personally, I would wait until I see what he's made of before I try a resteal on somebody.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 PM

You might want to not put "calls" after the "bets" part of the villain's 5th street action because we know you raised, which I think is just awful. I don't play Stud, but the ante is really low so I probably fold 3rd. Since he didn't fold to your reraise I guess I just give up on 4th. If I bet 4th I'd have "check/fold" clicked when I catch the T on 5th.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Though I don't like your 3rd street play, I believe you can seriously consider a peel on 5th.

5th street is normally not the time to peel, but you have a big 3 straight 3 flush that is quite live, in addition to your small pair pseudo-outs.

Also give your 3rd street action the pot is significantly sized now.

It depends on what you think your opponent is representing on 5th. It's a weird bet but if you believe he is only on one pair I believe a peel shoud be +EV.

If you are up against 2 pair it's definitely a bad call.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM

I would love the third street play if it were against someone you knew to be aggro in position, but against a complete unknown I would call most times with the intention of raising or check raising fourth pending the cards that hit.

I think raising fifth is really spewing here since he donked...but you do seem to have the odds to peel here as Micturation Man states because of the earlier raising (you are a 2:1 dog if he has split sevens and getting pot odds of what like 4.5:1 - I think). Although personally...I fold fifth here.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM

3rd was fine, I like aggressive lines against a possible steal, but it's a matter of style. Folding is fine as well. Many will auto-call any three cards after you pop it on 3rd, so you must lead 4th.

Now he leads 5th, and this is the dilemma you face when you play along these lines, and I've been here.

He didn't lead when he dropped the ace, so I think we've kept him 'honest'. Suddenly he makes a 5, and he wants to lead. Hmmmm.

I tend to think he's made one of two possible hands. Either he hit the 5, and he's leading against your dueces (what he's most likely thinking). Or he made a straight draw, 4567, 5678, or the like with the ace.

In either case we are in bad shape. We are up against an unknown hand with zero, which unless we make an ace or king giving us our first pair, cannot make anything to get paid off on.

We have no hand with bad reverse implied odds.

We tried to steal. We got caught. You don't gain anything by smacking the police officer. Just go quietly.

Fold 5th.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd was fine, I like aggressive lines against a possible steal, but it's a matter of style. Folding is fine as well. Many will auto-call any three cards after you pop it on 3rd, so you must lead 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I don't like the repop on 3rd. Basically you have no fold equity, especially with another deuce exposed.

I think a call is more reasonable given your particular hand. For one thing it lets you represent something stronger on 4th, if you choose to, or to fold if he pairs his doorcard or something.

If you repop 3rd he will put you on split deuces (or maybe more likely a 3 flush, since another deuce was exposed) and play accordingly, which you don't want since that distribution is barely stronger than what you actually have.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you think your opponent is representing on 5th. It's a weird bet but if you believe he is only on one pair I believe a peel shoud be +EV.

If you are up against 2 pair it's definitely a bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking along these lines on 5th. His bet confused me; I actually felt like I was representing a wired pair, given the fact that there we 2 deuces dead. I'd expect most opponents to go for a check-raise on 5th if they made 2-pair or better, and I wouldn't expect AA to play this way either (I'd expect either some kind of aggression on 4th or a c/r here.) I suspected that his bet was probably something weak.

I opted to raise, figuring that unless I improved, I'd have position again on 6th, and I could check behind. So I raised, figuring there was a small chance he might fold, and that if he 3-bet, I was probably drawing nearly dead. (In retrospect, I think I probably should have just called here, since if villain happened to have 2-pair, I had lots of live runner-runner ways to beat him.)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Folding third can't be far wrong. I will usually just call here and see what develops. Raising would be good if you really thought that the other guy will fold. In practice, this rarely happens. Who knows what's happening on fifth? I would probably fold. The pot's small, and you have jack. I don't think peeling would be horrible, but the raise was pretty putrid.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 AM

I don't really see the point in restealing much in a low limit game, especially against an unknown player. Just wait for good starting hands and make money.
You can maybe call if you want given the $4.75 in the pot when it gets to you...throw in the buck and hope to get lucky...if you don't hit a AK or maybe a club I'd just bail and move on to the next hand.

So many low limit players have glue on their hands and will take it all the way with a mid pair. These just seem to be the hands where you end up losing a ton of money when he makes 7s up and you catch a K on 5th, take it all the way, and then curse yourself for getting involved in the first place.