Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:01 AM

Default PL25: Top set OOP multiway

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($15.75)
MP ($48.65)
CO ($2.95)
Button ($12.85)
Hero ($61.45)
BB ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.45</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $1.45, MP folds, CO calls $1.45, Button calls $1.45.

Turn: ($7.30) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4.5</font>, CO calls $1.25 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $11.15</font>, Hero folds

Standard? Or am I better off going for a checkraise on the flop?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: PL25: Top set OOP multiway

From my Omaha experience, i'd definitly bet the flop because at these stakes people love to see free cards. Well played, fold the turn.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 AM

A board with JT makes a ton of straights; any card seven or above that isn't a jack or ten looks ugly against this many opponents. Assuming unknown opponents, should my approach be to lead good turns and check/reevaluate bad turns?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 AM

Looks good.

You gotta figure at least one of the other three player made a straight, and there is a significant possiblility of a higher set, and you don't have the dimond re-draw.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 AM

Sorry, didn't see the part about the flop.

Yes, pot here unless the table is full of call stations and you can be sure there will be a flop bet AND you can be reasonably sure they all will fold to a re-raise.

That is a lot of ifs.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 AM

I'll take the counter position that you should check the flop here, and if it gets checked around check the turn.

My reasoning is that
1)
a) the pot is supersmall,
which means that a flop bet wont get enough money in to do anything but have people call you and if the turn doesnt pair then they will bet you off the hand because
b) you are OOP

2)
a)you might even check/call the flop if you can only make it 6, which would make the pot 13.50 on the turn. If the pot is 13.50 on the turn and a bad card for you comes, again you have to check fold. this assumes you are against a big stack. against a small stack checkraise the flop away, or check raise if you can raise big.
b) if you do check call the flop and a bad card comes on the turn you can check call because the bet will be small, or you can easily fold to action and lose the min.
c) if the board pairs the turn you have a lot of ways to play it if opponents will continue firing with a draw.

to sum up, I guess the main thing is that OOP a lot of times you can just keep the pot real small or real big to offset your positional disadvantage.

Also i think the thing is you need to think about how you are gonna win a big pot.

Related concept: say I'm OOP with something like KTT9 or something and call a button raise and take a flop 3 ways with me first to act. If I flop middle set here on a dry board like AT2 or something I really like a flop bet here, because if I check raise the preflop raiser I'm making the pot way too big for my hand.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Your ideas are intriguing, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Are there books or articles you could recommend that detail this pot control mojo in greater depth?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your ideas are intriguing, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Are there books or articles you could recommend that detail this pot control mojo in greater depth?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you being funny and callingme an idiot i guess?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I'm hilarious. But no, I meant that sincerely. I'm a beginning player, and I'm interested in learning how to take these considerations into account.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm hilarious. But no, I meant that sincerely. I'm a beginning player, and I'm interested in learning how to take these considerations into account.

[/ QUOTE ]
well i don't have a newsletter unless you count 2+2 here. rolfs book is ok but mostly you just have to think about the hand and how you want it to play out.

but I'm not an expert or anything I havn't been playing very long.

also if you play some PLO sngs and tourneys as well as cash you'll get a feel for stack sizes and what you're trying to do.