Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Learning NL and from a LHE background

Have like 1100 on FT from donking around and somehow running good. Enough to learn at .5/1?

Also what are the most common mistakes that lhe players new to NL make?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Learning NL and from a LHE background

[ QUOTE ]
Have like 1100 on FT from donking around and somehow running good. Enough to learn at .5/1?

[/ QUOTE ]

well standard rule of thumb is 20 buyins for whatever level you wanna play, in my experience 100NL didnt play much tougher than 25NL, but I would still prolly start out at 25NL just until you learn the basics of bet sizing and what not, its not going to stunt your growth any, and its just gunna make the initial "cost" (if there is one) much smaller. If the money is actually no big deal then yeah start at 100NL

[ QUOTE ]
Also what are the most common mistakes that lhe players new to NL make?

[/ QUOTE ]

for me it's calling too much post flop. Im used to seeing showdowns and trying not to fold winners. In NL you see a lot less showdowns and you have to fold a lot more winners.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM

The money is not really a big deal, but I would like to start out with some discplined goals. When I learned limit I had no sense of br management so I want to get off on the right foot.

I also have noticed that very few people play limit and NL well so another goal is to find out what stumbling blocks limit players have and concentrate on that out of the gate.

I think bet sizing might be a problem for me. I understand that I must pay attention to the size of my opponents stack but I am not sure what I am looking for.

E.g. I am 70bbs deep and raise to 3.50 in a .5/1 game with say AQ and bb calls with like a 28bb stack.

Flop:
JT8 with diamonds.

If I make a pot or 3/4 sized bet he calls but doesnt push, what is my turn plan assuming it bricks off if a) he pushes or b) he checks?

Also is my flop bet right?

I come across these situations alot.

Also, anyone know of any good resources for bet sizing?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100NL didnt play much tougher than 25NL

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, either that site has some sick 25nl games or some juicy 100nl games

the difference between 25nl and 100nl is huge imho, more/better regs, less fish
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM

just read all the essential reading in the ssnl faq post. it started me off in the right direction at least w/ me going from .5/1 limit to 50nl
Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 PM

The most common mistake is to think one knows how to play. NL is that much more different. When getting over that and building e.g. a shorthanded nl holdem strategy (mine may be more superior than anyone else's has so far been, thanks to the combination of my limit holdem experience and knowledge and nl holdem basic experience and the nl book knowledge), one will face one more problem that's a product of limit holdem experience; because of that experience one subconsciously understands every situation especially past the flop wrongly, and regularly makes mistakes one would not make otherwise.

Lastly, the money comes differently in nl than it comes at limit where the money comes from constant fine details rather than from understanding the situations - to say it like that as after the basic strategy nl is not about constant fine details but something different.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think bet sizing might be a problem for me. I understand that I must pay attention to the size of my opponents stack but I am not sure what I am looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer is NLH T&P by S/M. The long answer is "No Limit Theory and Practice by Sklansky and Miller."

I never even thought about stack size untill I read this. Short stack strategy is tighter and more aggressive with much less bluffing at <20BBs. The lesser of your stack and you opponents stack is the maximum implied odds for the hand so it is silly to call a pfr with a middle pair unless you have 10x the bet. In the hand you refered to, you only have 3:2 max implied odds after the flop because he runs out of chips.

In regard to the play on your hand, flop bet is OK, but is usually a one shot with AQ, however you flopped a double gutter with a 2fl board (?). With a brick on the turn, it would depend on position, are you OOP or IP? IP: I would a) fold b) check behind. OOP: Small bet to block or large bet to semi-bluff. If you check and he bets, you will be confused and in a dangerious position and probably should fold. Check is not good.