Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Default A9s flops top pair, nut flush draw

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: A9s flops top pair, nut flush draw

I might go ahead and raise the flop, but since you didn't, I like the way you played it.

Nice river check. I bet this river almost never against an unknown. He called your turn raise, so you're probably looking at an A, but you have plenty of outs to improve.

As a side note: what do you do if an A falls on the river and he bets? Checks?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 PM

An ace on the river doesn't improve your hand, do you see why?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 PM

I raise that flop 80% of the time but I could see why you would want to try and attract more action. But I like the turn raise and have no issue with the river check. You are probably going to pay two bets anyway so you may as well give yourself a chance to win another one if you improve. Nicely played.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM

Yep. Although it might induce a calldown from KK or a smaller PP.

It was more for the forum's benefit than a question of mine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because MP2 might have an A as well? Him calling the turn raise says he's not afraid of the A, meaning he could be holding one. This is a guess...I'm not sure how to figure this one out [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

To be honest, if an A fell, I'd think it did improve my hand, and would probably fall into the trap of playing it aggressively. Enlighten me.

btw, OP, I really like the way you played the flop and turn. nh. Keep em in while you're drawing, raise it HU. sweet.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM

not raising this flop is a pretty big mistake.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because MP2 might have an A as well? Him calling the turn raise says he's not afraid of the A, meaning he could be holding one. This is a guess...I'm not sure how to figure this one out [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

To be honest, if an A fell, I'd think it did improve my hand, and would probably fall into the trap of playing it aggressively. Enlighten me.

btw, OP, I really like the way you played the flop and turn. nh. Keep em in while you're drawing, raise it HU. sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second ace on the board doesn't improve your kicker, I suppose it's possible neither kicker will play and you could improve to a split but I don't think that was this board. While it is rare for two players to have top trips it isn't rare enough that you want to go crazy with your 9 kicker into a pre-flop raisor.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 PM

ok ok......the kicker did cross my mind. I guess I wasn't completely lost.

Tyler, is not raising on the flop a mistake because the pot is large enough already?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok ok......the kicker did cross my mind. I guess I wasn't completely lost.

Tyler, is not raising on the flop a mistake because the pot is large enough already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay attention to how many people fold on the flop when it's been bet and raised vs. how many will on the turn.