Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Who is god? (Non religious post)

[ QUOTE ]
Yes yes yes, he empties out my brain and fills it with apricot preserves so the whole question's moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. Nice try, satanist.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 AM

What a stupid thing to say. It would be like a doctor coming up and saying too bad Joe's death was so painful, their last moments must have been pure agony. Even if you know/believe it to be true WTF is the point of saying it?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a stupid thing to say. It would be like a doctor coming up and saying too bad Joe's death was so painful, their last moments must have been pure agony. Even if you know/believe it to be true WTF is the point of saying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong thread?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shame, I thought more people would take this seriously.

My point was really related to a bigger picture, prompted by the two recent posts - 'If god contacts me I'll do anything he says', and 'If god contacts me I WONT do anything he says'. How can we judge wether such a creature is moral/more moral than us, etc.

People in those threads made assumptions that they haven't made here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot judge whether God is moral. You have no standard by which to judge him. This is very difficult for the atheists here to grasp because you hate the cartoon you have painted of God.

The thing is, if God came to you, you would know it. It's not that he would prove it, or you would be able to test him or something. You would just know it.

And wouldn't it suck? To know with certainty something exists but have no means to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see any reason why the powerful being we just met would be exempt from our judgement, in our own terms of our own construction called 'morality'.

How do you have the power to judge or presuppose that he should be exempt?

(We may of course exempt him from judgement if he makes it clear that judging him (negatively) would be strongly against our interest!)