Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Odds of getting out of jury duty?

At least in MA there is a section where you can defer to a later date up to a year later. Just do that, buys you a year, deal with it later....I'm tentatively scheduled for jury duty In June 2008. If it was going to only be 1-2 days, I'd actually like to sit on a jury if it was a close case. (but I'm a law student)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Octave,
Maybe they get per diem when it lasts longer? I feel like that question must've been addressed in a john grisham novel, but I just can't think of the answer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Some employers offer a per diem, but it's generally way way way less than what you would normally earn, and I think you'd find there are limitations on how long the 'compensation' could continue.

It's obviously state/employer dependant.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:30 PM

On a whim, I just googled "jury duty compensation" and came up with this:

On a daily basis, the Circuit Court for Baltimore County compensates each juror $15.00 plus provides validated parking in a County garage. If you are empaneled on a petit jury for more than five days, you will recieve $50.00 per day. Maryland law does not state that your employer has to pay you while you serve as a juror; however, the court will provide you with certification of attendance.

---

$50 a day for every day over 5 days, and there is no law requiring your employer to pay you! WTF JOPKE!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least in MA there is a section where you can defer to a later date up to a year later. Just do that, buys you a year, deal with it later....I'm tentatively scheduled for jury duty In June 2008. If it was going to only be 1-2 days, I'd actually like to sit on a jury if it was a close case. (but I'm a law student)

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in Boston, but moved to Colorado last year. I apparently got picked for jury duty in Boston, and they've been forwarding my jury summons to my new address.

Since I obviously didn't fly out to Boston to show up for my jury duty date, they've started sending ominous and vaguely threatening letters telling me I am "in violation blah blah blah."

Message to Boston: I'm flipping you off as hard as I can.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM

please help me to understand your american justice system. the defense attorney picks the jury?
they give you $15/day to be on the jury and no other perks?
if you dont respond to their letter, they cant do anything anyway?
what happens if one juror finds the defendant not guilty and the other 11 find him guilty? does the guy get off or is it a redo or what?

it is a fascinatingly dumb system as i understand it.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Be like Larry David

"I can't be an impartial jury member because the defendant is a negro"
Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue with fulfilling this "civic duty" is that most people have full-time jobs, and most people rely on these jobs for income.

When you get called for jury duty, you miss work- and if the trial goes over 3 days or so, you generally start to lose income too.

How these people deal with high profile murder trials that go one for a year or more is beyond me. Are they all independently wealthy, or just unemployed?

1. Be aware that "I can't miss work" is not a valid excuse.
2. Make yourself seem intelligent. Lawyers don't want critical thinkers- they want sheep.
3. If it's a personal injury case, just say that you find the litiguous nature of American society repulsive, and you think that most lawsuits are superfluous. The prosecuting attorney will drop you in a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the highest profile, most complicated of murder cases do not take a year or more. They take a few months tops. In most states its much faster (California apparently being the notable exception, their trials seem to take forever). Also, if you're employed by the gov't, at any level, you get paid your normal salary for jury duty. So its not really an economic hardship for any kind of civil servant.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please help me to understand your american justice system. the defense attorney picks the jury?

[/ QUOTE ] No, both attorneys pick the jury. Generally, each attorney gets to strike X number of people from the jury pool for whatever reason. (IE: in a six person jury, you start with 12 people and each attorney gets 3 strikes, after the strikes, you're left with 6 people). The jury pools are chosen randomly. Either attorney can also make a motion to strike a juror for cause (bias, etc.)
[ QUOTE ]
they give you $15/day to be on the jury and no other perks?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on the state, but renumeration for jurors is generally low. However, to my knowledge, civil servants in almost all states (people who work for the gov't at any level) recieve their normal pay for serving on a jury.
[ QUOTE ]
if you dont respond to their letter, they cant do anything anyway?

[/ QUOTE ] This depends on the state. Many states have civil and criminal penalties. They are probably not usually enforced, but can be.
[ QUOTE ]
what happens if one juror finds the defendant not guilty and the other 11 find him guilty? does the guy get off or is it a redo or what?

[/ QUOTE ] Most states require unanimous verdicts for criminal trials, and majority verdicts for civil trials. This means that all 12 (or 6, or however many it is in that state) have to agree. If after deliberation for a long time they deadlock and cannot agree, a mistrial can be granted, and the trial can be held again.

[ QUOTE ]
it is a fascinatingly dumb system as i understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The dumbest system in the world except for all the other systems in the world I'd expect.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if you're employed by the gov't, at any level, you get paid your normal salary for jury duty. So its not really an economic hardship for any kind of civil servant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies to what, about 4% of the US population?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:46 PM

When I was called for a jury I started talking about some con law classes I took in college while being questioned. The prosecution attorneys eyes lit up but the defense attorney couldn't strike me quickly enough. it was a drug trial and i really think the prosecution wanted me because i wasn't dressed like a slob like everyone else in the court room and might have been one of the few people who didn't look like he took a bong rip before stepping into the courthouse.