Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM

Default homegame..interesting with reads, 2 hands..no idea how to go

two hands I have problems with and found it really hard to play them..no converter but i try my best:
we started 10-handed with 3000 starting chips

hand 1:

7 handed
blinds 100/200
hero: 3500
villain (utg): 4500

villain has been playing mega-loose and aggressive, he is not a good poker player..yet seems to be very confident. has taken out two players already with decent cards. seems to get good cards rather than play stupid. really impossible to put him on a hand. tendency to a calling station.

villain (UTG) limps 200
5 folds
hero (BB) holds Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
hero checks

flop:
K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

hero checks, villain checks

turn:
9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

hero bets t500, villain raises t800 (i know this is against the rules.. ;-) hero calls t300

river:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

your play? the min-raise was odd yet as he usually just called..do you think I am good here? How do you proceed on the river?

Hand 2:
4-handed
blinds: 300/600

UTG (9000)
BUT (7500)
SB (6900)
hero (BB)(6600)

hero holds: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

2 folds, SB completes to t600, hero?

Villain is the same as above, still limping and raising many hands although he has gotten somewhat tighter..he likes to see flops..
please consider the options:
check/raise to t2400/raise all-in

thanks for your help
Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: homegame..interesting with reads, 2 hands..no idea how to go

any help guys?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM

In hand 1 I'd probably value bet the river for like ~1kish if you dont think hes going to bet a lot, but since it seems that any post flop raise is uncharacteristic without a premo hand, i dont mind c/cing any river bet...i dont think folding is an option vs this player.

Shove over his complete in hand 2.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:13 PM

I don't mind a c/c on the river in hand one. It's WA/WB so i like to let him put some money in when he's behind.

hand two is an easy push.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Hand 1, I can see him playing a king like this, but against the villain you describe, there is also a good chance he has a 9 or is bluffing. I'd probably check/call. Money is going in against a king regardless, probably against a 9 regardless, but you take away his chance to bluff again if you bet. I don't know how often he calls with worse, but since most small pairs got counter fitted on the river, I don't think he's looking you up all that often if you bet. If stacks were a lot deeper, bet/folding the river would be an option, but it isn't with these stacks.

As for hand 2, I'd just shove preflop since limping isn't at all out of the ordinary for villain. It would take a certain kind of dynamic for me to check, something like a villain who almost never limps, who is competent, and who would generally expect you to push a wide range in this spot. In such a situation, I'd be leery of a trap, but based on the info you've given I think villain is most likely not thinking anything more than "ooh 2 cards, cheap flop."