Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Official Mizzou VS KU football thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KU by 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll book $1000 with you that MU wins by 14 vs your $1000 that KU wins by 14.

Escrow required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't take long to bring out the chest thumpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just like money. Put up or shut up. :P
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, as you'll read in this week's SI, Norm Stewart refused to ever spend a dime in Kansas and had his bball teams stay in a hotel just across the border. Pretty funny stuff. I'll admit that I never stop in Columbia when driving through Missouri because I don't want any of my money going to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, that Mizzou Tax they have there in Columbia is a killer. WTF are you talking about? Norm refused to spend a dime in Kansas because any money spent in Kansas helps the college, which means you can't spend any money in Missouri, period.

Now, if you had said that you don't like stopping in Columbia because it smells like a horse's ass, that's different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Level? People that go to Mizzou tend to live in Columbia. Having people spend money in the town in which you live is usually pretty beneficial.

BTW, this is the article I talked about earlier. I thought it was pretty well done for a national outlet:
SI Cover Story
Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KU has the 7th ranked defense in the country, i don't see why people are saying that mizzou is gonna roll all over them. also, its supposed to be pretty cold on saturday. high of 39 last time i checked if that changes anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paper tiger.

Yes, they've played 5 top 40 offenses

Oklahoma State (6)
Toledo (13)
Nebraska (15)
CMU (28)
Kansas State (40)

2 of them pump their stats in MAC play, still 5 is pretty good. However, they played 4 bottom 40 offenses plus SE Louisiana

Colorado (80)
Baylor (89)
Iowa State (106)
FIU (119)

Overall, they've played offenses that average to be the #56 offense, not including 1-AA SE Louisiana.

Their offense is an even bigger paper tiger. The BEST defense Kansas has faced was Colorado at NUMBER 53! Check these rankings out.

Colorado (53)
Kansas State (63)
Iowa State (68)
Texas A&M (86)
Oklahoma State (100)
Toledo (101)
FIU (102)
Baylor (110)
Nebraska (112)
CMU (114)

That's right - 7 bottom 40 defenses, including SIX ranked 100 or worse. C'mon. They've faced on average the 91st ranked defense, not including D-1AA SE Louisiana.

Missouri? They've faced on average the #51 offense and #68 D.

What do I deduct from all of this? Kansas's defense is better than Missouri's defense, but Kansas's defensive ranking is a bit misleading.

However, Kansas's offense is a fraud in every sense of the word.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM

pirate, just curious, is this by scoring? Also, do those numbers include the teams' games against Kansas?

Anyway, I knew we hadn't faced a good D (nor will we this weekend), but didn't know it was that bad.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 PM

It's based on yardage. And they do include the games against Kansas.

While Missouri's D isn't great, it's the 2nd best defense you've faced all year.

And they're the best combo offense/defense, BY FAR.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM

fwiw even though i dont think kansas has played very many big games by my definition of the word, i do think mangino is a better coach then pinkel....or maybe i have just been influenced by the media hyping him, but he has done alot with a little

i still think missouri will win though..but if kansas can keep missouri's offense on the ground missouri will have a tough time, their running backs are not that great and the reason they become effective is when they mix it up (which is not very hard they have sooo many offensive weapons)...i just think missouri is alot more talented thats all i definitiley wouldnt be shocked if ku won although it would crush me this is by far the biggest game ever of this series

whoever loses will never win an argument with an opposing fan for the next 20 years
Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are the games that "matter" when your team isn't in contention for anything more than a crappy bowl game.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can only summon up the strength to out-coach someone for 2 or 3 games out of the year?
The other games aren't as important so he's not as interested in trying to out-coach anyone?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The more I read about this game, I don't see why this game isn't THE RIVALRY and not Ohio State v. Michigan. Probably because nationally this is the first time this game has mattered in about forever and this is coming from someone who lives in Kansas and will root for neither (KSU all the way!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Until MU hired that degen Quin Snyder (btw, Bill Self was among the finalists for that job), they were pretty competitive in basketball. Norm Stewart before him was a great coach and even got honored at KU after his retirement (they gave him a chair alluding to the "Sit down Norm" chants). Back then the rivalry was pretty interesting though Kansas obviously still had the upper hand.

By the way, as you'll read in this week's SI, Norm Stewart refused to ever spend a dime in Kansas and had his bball teams stay in a hotel just across the border. Pretty funny stuff. I'll admit that I never stop in Columbia when driving through Missouri because I don't want any of my money going to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't we going to discuss the actual game in this thread and not the different schools' basketball coaches and how you try to get back at Mizzou for being so evil?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM

MicroBob, I was discussing the rivalry because someone else brought it up. Discussing the "meaningfullness" of the rivalry led to talking about Norm Stewart. I threw in some interesting anecdotes about Norm and one of my own that was related. I don't think any of what I said was likely to incite any emotions or derail the thread in any way or I would've avoided it.

As for your question about only out-coaching someone 2 or 3 times a year, I think many who follow Kansas wonder the same thing. He has a great record against rivals, and at a school with limited past success that goes a long way. But the team clearly looks more creative and inspired in those match-ups. Some of it may be that he saves his best "stuff" for those big games. Some of it may be that he's excellent at motivating/preparing players for high emotion games but has no edge in the weekly grind type games. I honestly couldn't tell you why. I'm just telling you what I've seen and what many others feel.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 PM