Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 06:56 AM

Default Gaming girls w/ poker...Y/N?

(I'm sure this topic has been done several times before...can't hurt to tackle it again.)

Topic for your consideration: In what context do you bring up poker (if at all) when hitting on chicks. I'm always a bit unsure about how I should frame it, or whether chicks dig it at all...in my last year of college, it wasn't too bad b/c it was just a hobby, so if it came up, it came up, and it really wasn't a big deal...except when i'd run up big bar tabs, and have ppl wondering where i got the money from (but i usually just let them think i was a trust-fund baby.)

Now it's a bit different, though, since i'm a year out of undergrad, and so i have to deal more with the "what do you do?" question. I've had mixed results to date...I haven't been pleased with the direct approach (read: truth) >> "I play poker full-time". Some girls have been like "oh, cool", but it seems that more often i get a lukewarm reaction that screams 'get a real job, you loser', or maybe that's just in my head -- seems like girls out of school (even if they just graduated) put a premium on guys having a quote-unquote 'real job'. I've had a lot more success just mentioning in passing as a hobby (if it comes up at all), and instead steering conversation toward non-employment related topics.

Anyhow, that's my deal; curious about how others have fared in this regard. War stories (beats/brags/variance) especially welcome.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Gaming girls w/ poker...Y/N?

Poker is very mainstream. I'm sure at some point a very select few would think it was cool that you played for a living, but now, not so much. Don't bring it up, at all.

There are a tremendous number of douchebag idiots that think they are making a living playing poker right now.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM

To me it seems like the ones, who have a brain, tend to be curious, and the onew sho don't continue in their search of someone who works in waste disposal. I think I'm skewed towards the positive results since:
a) any dating competition would be working unemployed/full time students/working part time at gas stations or be in some kind of apprenticeship as a smith or electrician.
b) People assume that I'm smart which leads them to think that I make mad money.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 AM

If you're getting mixed reactions, mention your hourly/monthly rates (assuming they are at least semi-impressive).

It's kind of a douche play, but honestly the avg girl doesn't understand that one can make even close to as much as a decent job via poker. The general conception is poker player = broke loser who scrapes by taking advantage of those close to him (unless of course, you've been on TV!). Something like "well I quit my old job as X because I've been making $Y/hr for Z months now" can change the first impression pretty quick.

It'd be cool if this didn't matter or if the average girl could understand (or already be even somewhat familiar with) the details of pro poker, but that just isn't the case.

My GF complained somewhat often about my lack of a real job. That is until I started making 5 figs/month. Now I hear an occasional "go play more!" and the like.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM

I used to have this problem. The trick is to say "I'm a professional poker player" or "I play poker for a living" with confidence and excitement. If you're anything like I was, you probably feel kind of ashamed and awkward about how you make your money. You need to stop this and talk about poker the way Steven Spielberg would talk about how awesome it is to be a film director. If you do this, most girls will be intrigued.

Don't mention how much money you make--this comes across as needy and seeking validation. If the girl asks how much money you make, answer with something vague that indirectly shows you make plenty of money, like "I make enough to pay my rent and take care of my car payments."

Another thing is that if a girl wants to [censored] you, she will regardless of whether you play poker or not. It may even make her want to [censored] you more, since you're engaged and a "dangerous" activity and are therefore exciting. As far as potential gf material, are you really looking to date the kind of girl who would have a problem with you playing poker for a living? Any girl I would be in a relationship with would be open-minded enough to accept what I do.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm starting to get the general feeling that it isn't seen as 'cool'. Seriously, think about it. No chick really wants to get serious with a guy she envisages to be playing cards on the computer for the next 30-40 years in order to support both himself, his wife and their children.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to get the general feeling that it isn't seen as 'cool'.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends how you frame it. If you say "It's not like Rounders, I just sit in front of a computer 8 hours/day and analyze statistics and do calculations," you aren't likely to get a good response. But if you say, "It's great, I get to choose my own hours, I don't have a boss, and I can work anywhere there's an internet connection, so I can travel and still make money," people will respond positively.

I'm currently traveling and supporting myself playing poker so I obviously get a better reaction than someone in their home town, but I still found this was mostly true when I was in the US.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

something vague that indirectly shows you make plenty of money, like "I make enough to pay my rent and take care of my car payments."

[/ QUOTE ]

uhmm... no. that makes it sound like you make like $25k/year.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 AM

yes my friends its all about spin.

imma hustla, imma imma hustla homie.

Money talks so let it speak for itself(dont go blowing it all on some chick though).

the reason the girls dont like it is because you wear your gay little online poker t-shirts and hoodies. You gotta make it sound like you are a pimp ass gambler, ballin out of control and able to do whatever you want with your time and life. that being said your first step is to go to the mall and get your wardrobe up to par.

DONT go into details about poker with a female unless you find out she plays, they dont want to hear you drone on about +/-EV. if she is grilling you are asking if its a real job just say.....well i make great money doing it and it has flexible hours and i dont have to take a drug test, i was sold at no drug test.

also i wouldnt suggest saying you play poker online, just say you play poker.....use reads to determine if you should leave it at that or not, generally you should though.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

something vague that indirectly shows you make plenty of money, like "I make enough to live like a baller and take you out for a dinner tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]